Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

[00:00:08]

>>> THE MEETING IS BEING CALLINGED TO APPROVE AN SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND OF THE DECLARATION OF DISASTER FOR PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY. WE ARE ALSO GOING TO COVER SEVEN ADDITIONAL ITEMS ON TODAY'S AGENDA.

>> FIRST I DO WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU GUYS, YOUR STAFF, EVERYONE AROUND THE COUNTY, IN PARTICULAR THE OFFICE OF THE COUNTY ENGINEER, BUDGET MANAGEMENT, CONSTABLE AND EVERYONE WHO HELPED GET THIS SET UP FIGURED OUT FOR TODAY. WE WILL CONTINUE FIGURING OUT WHAT TO DO FOR NEXT TIME AND WE'RE WORKING THROUGHOUT OUR DEPARTMENTS TO ENSURE THAT WE ARE PROVIDING ESSENTIAL OPERATIONS. THANK YOU.

WHILE ALSO BEING SAFE. FIRST LET ME TAKE UP THE DISASTER DECLARATION ITEM.

AS YOU KNOW LAST WEEK ON THE 11TH I SIGNED THE DISASTER DECLARATION.

IT'S EFFECTIVE FOR SEVEN DAYS WHICH IS WHY WE'RE HERE AND I WOULD LIKE TO EXTEND THE

DECLARATION UNTIL APRIL 29. WE GENERALLY -- >> SECOND.

>> AND PLUS A FEW DAYS TO MAKE IT TO THE NEXT COURT WHICH IS NORMALLY WE DO 30.

>> YOUR HONOR, WHAT IS OUR NEXT COURT DATE? NEXT TUESDAY? I WOULD MAKE A REQUEST THAT WE EXTEND WITH DECLARATION UNTIL NEXT TUESDAY SO WE HAVE A CHANCE TO REVIEW SOME OF THE THINGS THAT ARE IN PLACE, TO DEBATE IT, TO GET PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT AS OPPOSED TO GOING OUT UNTIL APRIL 29, THAT WE DO IT UNTIL NEXT WEEK AND TAKE THAT UP AFTER WE HAVE OPPORTUNITY FOR PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT AND DISCUSSION. I HAVE A NUMBER OF MAYORS THAT HAVE BEEN CONCERNED AND THAT HAVE BEEN CONTACTING US THAT I THINK WOULD LIKE TO BE INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS. SO I WOULD SAY THAT EXTENDING IT TO APRIL 29 THAT WE EXTEND IT TO

NEXT REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING OF COMMISSIONERS' COURT. >> YEAH.

>> THAT AMENDED -- >> FIRST APPEALING TO YOU JUDGE AND WANTING TO DISCUSS IT.

S THAT A MOTION THAT WE EXTENDED TO THIS NEXT COMMISSIONER'S COURT SO WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO EDGE GAUGE OUR COMMUNITIES BEFORE GOING ALL THE WAY OUT TO APRIL 29.

>> SO JUDGE, I DO WANT TO ASK, MAYBE LEGAL CAN ANSWER THE QUESTION, IF YOU CAN.

IF WE MOVE FORWARD WITH IT AS YOU SUGGESTED, DO WE HAVE A ABILITY TO AMEND IT WHEN WE COME

BACK NEXT TUESDAY? >> YES, IF YOU MOVE FORWARD TODAY AND GO TO NEXT TUESDAY,

THEN ON TUESDAY YOU CAN EXTEND IT AGAIN. >> BUT IF WE GO FORWARD WITH IT AS SHE SUGGESTED, CAN'T RECEIVE AMEND IT WHEN WE COME BACK NEXT TUESDAY --

>>IVELY STUDY UP ON THAT ONE BECAUSE IN MY MIND WHEN THAT DECLARATION IS DECLARED, I THINK THE COUNTY JUDGE CAN TERMINATE THE EMERGENCY, BUT I'M CONFIDENT THE

COUNTY JUDGE TO TERMINATE DURING THE EMERGENCY. >> TO THAT END THE AMENDMENT IS

EFFECT EVIL HER DECISION TO END THE DECLARATION. >> CORRECT, SHE CAN END IT -- THE COUNTY JUDGE MAY END THE DECLARATION AT ANY TIME BY MAKING A DECLARATION.

I'M NOT CONFIDENT THAT FURTHER STUDY THE COMMISSIONERS COURT CAN DIRECT THE COUNTY JUDGE TO DETERMINE THE ORDER EARLY. SO ONCE IT'S EXTENDED IT WILL RUN UNTIL THAT DATE UNTIL IT'S

FURTHER EXTENDED BY COUNTY COMMISSIONERS. >> JUDGE, EVEN THE MAYOR OF HOUSTON HAVE BEEN WORKING IN CONCERT. DO YOU KNOW IF THE CITY IS GOING

TO GO BEYOND NEXT TUESDAY? >> I'M TRYING TO ASK -- I DON'T KNOW.

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM DOING IT -- WE PROBABLY HAVE TO DO IT UNTIL WEDNESDAY SO WE DON'T -- BUT I WILL SAY OBVIOUSLY WE NEED TO TAKE STEPS LIKE YESTERDAY, WE'RE NOT IN A POSITION TO PUT POLITICS INTO THIS SO I'M HAPPY TO OBLIGE, BUT I THINK THIS IS A -- I HOPE YOU'RE NOT COMING FROM THE PLACE I THINK YOU'RE COMING FROM BECAUSE I SPOKE WITH ALL THE MAYORS YESTERDAY.

OBVIOUSLY THE DECISION WAS MADE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLY COULD. WE WERE STILL DECIDING A MINUTE AFTER THE PRESS CONFERENCE WAS SUPPOSED TO START BECAUSE WE NEEDED TO GET THAT DONE BEFORE

[00:05:03]

ST. PATRICK'S DAY, TODAY AND WE HAD THE PRESS CONFERENCE FOR FIVE AND SO NOW WE'RE AT A POINT WHERE WE'RE MAKING TOUGH DECISIONS FOR THE COMMUNITY AND I'M NOT TRYING TO HAVE A PUBLIC POLITICAL FIGHT, JUST TO -- AND WE'VE BEEN WORKING CLOSELY WITH THE GOVERNOR, VERY CLOSELY WITH JUDGE KEELEN. MANY REPUBLICAN MAYORS YESTERDAY EXPRESSED THEIR SUPPORT AND I THINK THERE WAS TWO MAYORS WHO SAID HEY, LET ME KNOW, AND I SAID ABSOLUTELY.

THIS WAS JUST A LAST MINUTE THING. >> JUDGE, I'VE SPOKEN WITH THE MAYORS AS WELL AND I HEAR MY COLLEAGUE ON THIS REQUEST. THE ONLY THING, HAVING BEEN IN A FEW OF THESE MYSELF, A DECLARATION UNTIL THE WEEK IS -- I'M NOT SURE IF IT MAKES OPERATIONAL SENSE. WOVE YOU'RE WRAPPING UP A LOT OF THINGS, YOU'RE GETTING A LOT OF THINGS DONE. WE HAVE A PARTICULAR GOAL OF DOING EVERYTHING WE CAN TO IMPACT THE CURVE OF CONTAMINATION. SO I'M NOT SURE WHETHER WE PUT

OURSELVES IN A ROLE OF A WEEK TO WEEK DECLARATION. >> NO, THAT'S NOT MY INTENT.

I TALKED TO THE MAYOR OF HUMBLE THIS MORNING AND THEY WERE NOT -- THEY LEARNED ABOUT THE ORDER THAT YOU ISSUED YESTERDAY WHEN THEY WATCHED IT ON THE NEWS.

I DON'T THINK THAT THIS IS -- THIS IS NOT ABOUT POLITICS, THIS IS ABOUT LET'S MAKE SURE THAT WE

HAVE OUR PARTNERS ENGAGED. >> BUT HOW DO YOU DANGLE A DISASTER DECLARATION -- LOOK, LET'S DO IT FOR NEXT TUESDAY. AGAIN COMMISSIONER I LEARNED ABOUT IT IMMEDIATELY BEFORE BECAUSE THAT'S WENT WE CONCLUDED WHAT WE WERE GOING TO DO. AND I'VE SPOKEN TO ALL OF THEM BUT IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER AND I ASSUME THE BEST INTENTIONS LET'S DO IT UNTIL NEXT WEDNESDAY, IF THAT'S OKAY. THAT WILL GET US THROUGH NEXT COURT AND I JUST -- I HOPE -- I MEAN, ANYWAY I'LL ASSUME BEST INTENTIONS ONLY WITH THAT. SO DO WE WANT THE AMEND THE

MOTION? >> I'LL ACCEPT THAT AS FAIRLY ALLEGEDDED AND JUDGE I THINK YOUR DONE A GREAT JOB. AT THE END OF THE DAY I THINK IT'S EASY FOR ANYONE TO SECOND-GUESS WHETHER IT WAS CANCELING THE RODEO OR ANYTHING ELSE, THEY'RE TOUGH DECISIONS AND I THINK WE OUGHT TO BE AS SUPPORTIVE AS WE CAN AND SERVING OUR STAFF IS GOING TO DO THAT.

>> AND JUDGE, LIKELY OR SIMILARLY, ON THESE EVENTS, WHETHER IT'S TAKING ON -- YOU WRITE THE PLAY BOOK AS YOU GO AND SO MY COMPLEMENTS TO YOU AND ALL OF THE STAFF THAT'S ASSISTING YOU IN THIS PROCESS. THERE'S NOT A PLAY BOOK PRE-WRITTEN ON THIS THING.

YOU HAVE TO MAKE CERTAIN DECISIONS REGRETFULLY ON THE FLY.

BUT WE'RE HERE TO BE SUPPORTIVE AND WE STILL DON'T KNOW WHERE THIS THING IS GOING TO TAKE US.

AND MY SUSPICION IS THAT ALTHOUGH WE HAVE MADE AND YOU ARE HELPING US LEAD AND MAKING SOME TOUGH DECISIONS, I DON'T THINK WE'VE MADE THE TOUGHEST ONES YET.

AND SO WITH THAT IN MIND, I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT MY COMPLEMENTS I COMMEND YOU AND WHATEVER WE CAN DO TO BE SUPPORT IIVE. I WOULD ASK, ROBERT, IS THERE A -- THE OPEN MEETINGS, IF THE JUDGE WERE TO PUT US ON A CONFERENCE CALL, IS THAT SOMETHING THAT HAS TO BE POSTED

OR HOW DOES THAT PLAY INTO THE OPEN MEETINGS? >> I WAS GOING TO BREAK THAT UP.

YESTERDAY THE GOVERNOR SIGNED AN ORDER TO PERMIT THAT EXACT SITUATION TO HAPPEN.

THERE ARE CERTAIN THINGS THAT WE'LL HAVE TO GO THROUGH BUT UNDER THE ORDERS SIGNED BY THE DOVE NOR YOU CAN NOW HOLD MEETINGS BY TELL PHONE CONFERENCE, BY VIDEO CONFERENCE.

THERE IS A REQUIREMENT THOUGH, AND I NEED TO REMIND OVER AND ABOVE, THAT YOU HAVE A METHOD BY WHICH THE PUBLIC CAN ADDRESS THE COURT. SO WE'LL BE WORKING WITH BRUCE

AND OTHERS TO ACCOMPLISH THAT. AND THE METHOD WOULD BE -- >> SO THE METHOD WOULD BE SOMETHING LIKE IT'S POSTED AS LONG AS THE PUBLIC HAS THE ABILITY TO TALLY IN OR RADIO IN.

>> AND IT APPEARS FROM READING THE ORDER, I'VE ONLY READ IT ONCE, THAT IT'S VERY FLEXIBLE, SO WHATEVER IS NEEDED TO PUBLISH THE GOAL, WHICH IS TO GIVE PUBLIC INPUT AND STILL ALLOW THE

[00:10:08]

COURT TO NOT HAVE TO MEET PHYSICALLY. AND THE OTHER THING -- SORRY TO INTERRUPT, WOULD BE THAT IF THERE WERE SAY SOMETHING CHANGED YOU COULD HAVE AN EMERGENCY MEETING OF THE COURT IN ONE HOUR'S NOTICE IN THERE WERE A NECESSITY EXCEPTION.

>> THAT'S WHAT I WAS GOING TO ASK, BECAUSE I DO THINK IT'S IMPORTANT THAT THE JUDGE AND AT LEAST THE MAYOR BY THE LARGEST CITY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE BE IN SYNC, SO I WOULD FRAME A MOTION SO YOU OUGHT TO GO UNTIL NEXT WEDNESDAY, UNDERSTANDING THE CAVEAT THAT IF CIRCUMSTANCES CHANGE, WITH ONE HOUR NOTICE, RIGHT, YOU CAN CALL US BACK INTO A TELEPHONIC MEETING AS LONG AS

THE PUBLIC HAS OPPORTUNITY TO GIVE INPUT. >> I CANNOT ENVISION THAT HANG BECAUSE AS LONG THE EMERGENCY IS IN EFFECT, THE JUDGE HAS EXTRAORDINARY POWERS TO CARRY OUT WHATEVER NEEDS TO BE DONE TO GET OUT OF THE EMERGENCY. BUT IT COULD IF SOMETHING UNIMAGINABLE HAPPENED, YOU COULD HAVE A MEETING WITH ONE HOUR'S NOTICE.

>> GOOD DEAL. AND I GUESS LISTER TAKE THIS MOTION AND THEN I GOT A FEW MORE

QUESTIONS, JUDGE. >> SURE. YEAH, SECOND, ALL IN FAVOR? MOTION CARRIES UNANIMOUSLY. AND I DO WANT TO MAKE THE POINT, COMMISSIONER OF THERE'S LIVES ON THE LINE IN THIS THING. WE GOT TO STICK TOGETHER AND THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO BE WHIPPING UP POLITICAL OPPOSITION, SO LET ME MAKE THAT CLEAR BECAUSE WE HAVE FOLKS IN CRITICAL CONDITION. WE HAD ONE DEATH LAST NIGHT. WE'RE GOING TO GREAT LINKERS TO ALIGN WITH ELECTED IN THE REGION ON AGGRESSIVE STANCES AND THAT NEEDS TO BE MADE VERY CLEAR.

I'M HAPPY TO DO THIS BUT THESE ORDERS HAVE ALWAYS GONE FOR 30 DAYS AND THIS TO ME IS REALLY

SOME IN THE INTEREST OF JUST THE COMMUNITY. >> BUT WE COME BACK AND MEET NEXT WEEK, AND I WAS THIRD-DEGREE, I WANTED TO ASK THE QUESTION, HISTORICALLY THEY

HAVE GONE FOR 30 DAYS. >> I'M FINE WITH THIS. I'M JUST WARNING HERE THE DECISIONS WE'RE MAKING HERE ARE INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT AND UNPOPULAR, BUT WHICH TELLS YOU THEY'RE VERY MUCH NOT POLITICAL. SO I HOPE THAT ALLF USRE NOT ING

>> JUDGE, ROBERT. ON THE ISSUE OF EVICTIONS, I KNOW THAT THE JPS ARE INDEPENDENTLY ELECTED AND THE CONSTABLES ARE INDEPENDENTLY ELECTEDS AS WELL BUT I UNDERSTAND THAT OTHER JURISDICTIONS ARE ABLE TO EFFECT SOME PROCESS TO NOT ALLOW EVICTIONS AT THE TIME. AND YOU GIVE US SOME GUIDELINES ON WHAT WE CAN CONSIDER HERE?

>> I MEAN, MY INITIAL RESPONSE THAT I BELIEVE THAT UNDER THE POWERS THAT THE COUNTY JUDGE HOLDS DURING AN EMERGENCY, WE AS AN OFFICE COULD FASHION AN ORDER THAT WOULD EFFECTIVELY STOP THOSE KIND OF EVICTIONS. WE SENT A LETTER TO THE GOVERNOR YESTERDAY ASKING THE GOVERNOR TO SUSPEND SUCH THINGS, AND SO WE KNOW THAT HE'S CONSIDERING IT. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE MIGHT DO WITH IT. BUT SHORT ANSWER, COMMISSIONER'S COURT DIDN'T DO MUCH BUT THE

JUDGE HERSELF CAN UNDER THOSE EMERGENCY HOW POWERS. >> AND WHAT WOULD BE THE PROCESS? DO WE NEED TO MAKE A MOTION OR SHE CAN CONSIDER THAT --

>> THAT'S SOMETHING FOR THE JUDGE TO CONSIDER AND CERTAINLY WE HAVE FOLKS IN OUR OFFICE THAT CAN WORK WITH COUNTY JUDGES STAFF TO SEE WHAT WE CAN FASHION TO ACCOMPLISH THAT.

AND EFFECTIVELY YOU'RE RIGHT, YOU'RE DEALING WITH OTHER ELECTED OFFICIALS AND IT MAY BE THERE'S NOT MUCH OF THAT HANG ANYWAY BUT WE CAN LOOK INTO THAT.

>> JUDGE, I WOULD ASK YOUR OFFICE OR YOU RATHER TO CONSIDER SOME DECLARATION ON HALTING EVICTIONS WHILE WE'RE UNDER THIS EMERGENCY DECLARATION. AND I'M TO ASSUME THAT PEOPLE WILL DO THE RECORD HIGH THING BUT JUST TO MAKE SURE THAT ANYONE WHO IS UNDER AN EVICTION ORDER ALREADY OR HAVING TO GET A SUMMONS TO SHOW UP AT COURT FOR SOME EVICTION HEARING, THAT IT'S

[00:15:03]

BEEN MADE CLEAR THAT WE ARE WE'LL TAKE A STAND ON THAT ISSUE, AND THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO GET PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR LIVING FACILITIES. SOIVELY ASK YOU TO CONSIDER

THAT, PLEASE. >> YOUR HONOR THE JUDGE'S RULE IS CALLED BALLS AND STRIKES.

I WOULD BE CAREFUL THAT WE DON'T ASK JUDGES TO THROW A CASE IN ONE DIRECTION OR ANOTHER.

SO THATS IF IF THERE'S ANYA THAT IT BE DONE ALONG THE LINES OF A MEDICAL ISSUE SO THAT ANY DECISION IS MEDICALLY BASED AND NOT ON WE'RE GOING TO DICTATE THE JUDGE'S -- TWIST THE LAW TO ONE PARTY OR ANOTHER. BECAUSE OUR JOB IS TO CALL BALLS AND STRIKES.

>> IF I MAY, JUDGE, NOT ASKING JUDGES TO DO THAT. SIMPLY WE CAN SUSPEND THE DOCKETS OR THE JUDGE CAN SUSPEND THE DOCKETS. THAT'S ALL I'M ASKING AND LET

THE -- >> THERE ARE SOME IMPORTANT ISSUES WITH REGARD TO PEOPLE COMING TO COURT, PEOPLE BEING INVOLVED IN THAT PROCESS AND AS LONG AS EVERYONE IS TREATED FAIRLY AND THE SUBJECT JUDGES AREN'T BEING ASKED TO DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN CALL BALL ASKS STRIKES, IF IT'S ON A MEDICAL BASIS THEN I'M COMFORTABLE WITH THAT.

I'M VERY UNCOMFORTABLE WITH TRYING TO TELL JUDGES HOW TO RULE.

>> MEDICAL BASIS, I'M SORRY? >> WE HAVE HAD SOME DATA THAT SAYS THAT IF A WRIT THAT'S ALREADY ISSUED FOR SOMEONE TO BE EVICTED WOULD CAUSE A PROBLEM MEDICALLY OF SOME CAPACITY THAT'S THERE, THAT THAT WOULD BE A MEDICAL ISSUE. IF YOU ARE TELLING JUDGES THAT BECAUSE OF THEIR COURT STAFF AND THE INTERFACE WITH THE PUBLIC, THAT OUR COURTS ARE GOING TO BE MOVED TO AN ONLINE SYSTEM OR THAT THEIR DOCKETS ARE GOING TO BE RESTRICTED, WHICH COULD BE MEDICALLY BASED NOT BAYED ON WHAT A JUDGE HAS TO DO WITH REGARD TO A RULING THEN I THINK THAT'S PERFECTLY FINE WITH REGARD TO THAT. I THINK THAT MANY OF OUR JUDGES ARE ALREADY TRYING TO DO SOMETHING TO PROTECT THEIR STAFF, WHO ARE OUR EMPLOYEES THAT WE HAVE TO SERVE IN THAT CAPACITY, ESPECIALLY WITH THE RULES WHICH WE'RE USING AS A MODEL HERE OF NO MORE THAN TEN PEOPLE IN A ROOM AT A TIME. THOSE ARE MEDICALLY BASED DECISIONS BUT ONCE YOU START SAYING THESE PARTICULAR KINDS OF CASES, WE'RE GOING TO ASK THE JUNES TO DO X OR Y FROM A MEDICAL BASIS OR A DOCKET CONTROL BASIS.

>> AND AGAIN, I WOULD BE REAL CLEAR, I'M NOT ASKING JUDGES FOR ANY RULING, I'M JUST ASKING FOR THE JUDGE TO HALT THE PROCESS UNTIL WE CAN SEE SOME LIGHT AT THE END OF THIS TUNNEL.

AND SO LET THE CASES BE WHAT THE CASES MAY BE, BUT I AM NOT ASKING FOR A RULING TO DIRECT THE JPS TO HAVE ANY PARTICULAR RULING IN MIND. I'M SIMPLY SAYING WE NEED TO

CONSIDER WHETHER OR NOT TO ALLOW THE HEARINGS TO PROCEED. >> COMMISSIONER?

>> JUDGE, SINCE IT IS CLEAR THAT YOU HAVE THAT POWER, I THINK THAT OUR ROLE, AT LEAST MY STAFF WILL CERTAIN HELP DO RESEARCH ON BEST PRACTICES. REACH OUT TO SOME COUNTIES THAT WERE HIT AHEAD OF US AROUND THE COUNTRY AND SEE WHAT THEY'RE DOING, EVEN COUNTIES IN THE STATE. AT LEAST I'VE SEEN SOME PRESS DENSE ABOUT WHAT THEY'RE DOING WITH REGARD TO THIS ISSUE, AND I THINK TRAVIS COUNTY I SAW SOMETHING ABOUT THEIR COUNTY.

SO UNDER THE LAW SINCE YOU HAVE THAT ABILITY, MY STAFF AT LEAST WILL GIVE YOU THE BENEFIT OF WHATEVER RESEARCH WE CAN PULL, ANY RESEARCH THAT YOUR RESEARCH TEAM ASKS MY PEOPLE TO PULL AND

HELP YOU MAKE A DECISION. >> THANK YOU SO MUCH COMMISSION ER.

>> YOUR HONOR I DON'T THINK THAT I HAVE ADDRESSED THE EVICTION ISSUE.

ON THE PARTICULAR ISSUE OF EVICTIONS THAT CAME UP IN OUR OFFICE YESTERDAY AND THAT'S

WHY -- (SPEAKING SIMULTANEOUSLY.) >> I WAS TALKING TO THE JUDGE

YESTERDAY THAT SAID THEY ADDRESSED IT. >> COULD HAVE.

AND IT COULD BE THE SUPREME COURT EARTH ITSELF WILL ADDRESS THIS ISSUE.

[00:20:01]

AND JUDGE THESE THINGS MOVE ALONG, THINGS POP UP THAT NOBODY THOUGHT ABOUT AND MY GUESS IS THE SUPREME COURT DIDN'T THINK ABOUT THAT. COULD BE THEY MIGHT DO SOMETHING TODAY OR TOMORROW OR THE GOVERNOR MIGHT DO SOMETHING. BUT TO YOUR POINT WE WILL LOOK AT WHAT OTHER O JURISDICTIONS HAVE DONE AND TRY TO CRAFT AN ORDER THAT IS FAIR TO ALL

PARTIES AND DEAL WITH THE EMERGENCY SITUATION. >> AND I DO WELCOME IDEA FROM MY COLLEAGUES ON WHAT ELSE -- OBVIOUSLY THE DECISION THAT WAS MADE HURTS A LOT OF PEOPLE, PEOPLE WE ALL KNOW PERSONALLY SO TO THE EXTENT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WILL DELIVER ON THEIR PROMISES, WE'RE ALL HOPING AND THAT WILL HELP AMELIORATE THE IMPACT BUT WE ARE ALL TRYING TO FIND WHAT WE CAN DO SO IF FOLKS HAVE OTHER IDEAS I ALWAYS WELCOME THEM.

AND I'VE GOT FOLKSTING ME ALL THE TIME. SO I APPRECIATE THAT.

[Item 1]

SO THAT THAT WAS THE INITIAL IT. ITEM ONE IS AN UPDATE FROM BUDGET MANAGEMENT IN CONNECTION WITH THE COUNTY FINANCES. DO WE HAVE SOMEONE FROM BUDGET MANAGEMENT TO FILL US IN ON THAT? WHILE THEY GET HERE, WE CAN MOVE TO ITEM TWO.

THAT'S A REQUEST FOR APPROVAL OF ADDITIONAL SERVICES FOR THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE.

SO -- HEY. HOW ABOUT WE TAKES THAT ONE UP THEN, BILL, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

AND AS A REMINDER FOR EVERYONE, WE NEED EVERYONE TO CONTINUE CODING EXPENSES WITH THE COVID-19 CODE THEY GOT SO WE CAN REIMBURSED BY THE FEDS AFTER THIS.

>> BILL J BUDGET OFFICER. THESE WILL BE VERY IBUPROPHEN BUT LET ME SAY FIRST OF ALL HARRIS COUNTY IS WELL POSITIONED TO ABSORB THE EFFECTS OF THIS EVENT.

THE BALANCE THIS YEAR IS ONE OF THE STRONGEST IN THE NATION OF LOCAL GOVERNMENTS WHICH WAS DESIGNED AND FUNDED TO HANDLE TWO MAJOR EVENTST. CREDIT MARKETS ARE EVOLVING AND THE HARRIS COUNTY'S EXPOSURE IS AT THE LOWER END OF THE RISK SCALE. ACCESS TO COMMERCIAL PAPER RENEWALS AND ISSUING NEW DEBT IS BEING REVIEWED BY OUR FINANCIAL ADVISERS BUT OUR CONSERVATIVE APPROACH WILL HELP IN THIS AREA. IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE AND I WANT TO EMPHASIZE THIS PART OF IT IS THAT COMMERCIAL PAPER ARE REVOLVING NOTES THAT WE HAVE AND THEY COME DUE AND WE REVOLVE THEM OUT. BUT IF THERE'S NO MARKET FOR SOMEONE TO RENEW THAT WE HAVE TO TERM THEM OUT. SO WE'RE WATCHING THAT VERY CLOSELY AND WE THANK THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT BY POURING AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY HAVE THERE ARE GOING TO BE THOSE MARKETS.

WELL BE WORKING CLOSELY ON THE NEEDS FOR CAPITOL FUNDING OF. WE MAY NEED TO DEFER SOME PROJECTS FOR A SHORT TIME UNTIL THE MARKETS BECOME STABLE. THE INVESTMENT OF OUR FUNDS.

WE YOU BE VERSE FUNDS NOT ONLY FOR HARRIS COUNTY BUT FOR A LOT OF OUR SISTER AGENCIES.

AND SO ONE OF THE APPROACHES THAT WE'VE DONE OVER THE YEARS AT THIS TIME OF YEAR WE ARE USUALLY ANTICIPATING THE FACT THAT WE MAY HAVE A HURRICANE OR SOME KIND OF MAJOR EVENT, SO WE CAN INVESTOR THIS TIME OF YEAR A VERY SHORT-TERM, WE DON'T GO OUT THREE YEARS, WE MAY GO OUT SIX MONTHS OR WHATEVER SO WE HAVE LIQUIDITY IN A CASE OF AN EVENT LIKE EC.

AND THIS IS WHERE WE'RE AT SO WE'RE IN GOOD SHAPE. THE COUNTY IS UNLIKE A LOT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENTS IN THAT WE COUNT ON OUR REVENUES FROM PROPERTY TAX, AND AGAIN SINCE WE GOT RID OF THE USE OF TAX ANTICIPATION NOTES A FEW YEARS AGO AND PAID OFF ON THAT DEBT AND HAVE NOT USED IT WE HAVE THE FUNDS IN THE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST TO CARRY US THROUGH NINE MONTHS OF THIS YEAR. IT'S IN THE LATTER PART OF THE YEAR THE TAX MONEY THAT COMES IN DECEMBER AND JANUARY AND FEBRUARY THAT WE USE TO FUND THAT.

BUT BECAUSE OF OUR RESERVINGS WE'RE IN GOOD SHAPE. WE GET VERY LITTLE MONEY ON SALES TAX BASE BUT THE OTHER ENTITIES THAT DO RELY ON THAT THEY HAVE TO DO THAT ON THEIR OWN. WE GET A SALES TAX FROM CARS. I'M WORKING CLOSELY WITH JIM ROBINSON WHO HEAD UP H CAP FOR MANIERS YA TO SEE THE OVERALL EFFECT ON OUR REVENUES.

AGAIN THE EVALUATIONS ARE SUPPOSE TO BE SET AS OF JANUARY 1 OF 2020 AND THEN YOU WOULD SET THE TAX RATE IN OCTOBER AND WE SECOND OUT THE BILL.

SO AGAIN IT'S A VERY FLUID SITUATION AND WE'RE WATCHING THAT AND JIM'S HELPING ME ORANGE THAT. AS FAR AS EXPENSES GO BUDGET MANAGEMENT IS WORKING WITH ALL THE DEPARTMENTS AND ELECTED OFFICIALS SO USE A CONSERVE TIFF APPROACH AND ON YOUR YOU BE ALLOCATED BUDGETS THE PEOPLE BUY THINGS DURING THE YEAR AND MAYBE HIRE PEOPLE, IS TO TAKE A LOOK

[00:25:02]

AT THAT AND IN THE TERMS SOME PEOPLE SAY KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY. SO WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT WE'RE CONSERVATIVE AND BUY ONLY THOSE THINGS WE NEED. WE'RE WORKING WITH THE AUDITOR'S OFFICE TO MAKE SURE OUR ITEMS RELATED TO THIS EVENT ARE WELL DOCUMENTED SO THAT IF STATE AND FEDERAL FUNDS ARE ALLOCATED WE'LL BE ABLE TO BE REIMBURSED. ANOTHER AREA IS OUR RETIREMENT FUNDING. IN 2008, 2009 A RETIREMENT FUNDING HAD TO GO UP A LITTLE BIT SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY LOST 30 PERCENT OF THEIR VALUE THAT YEAR BUT THE NEXT YEAR IT WENT UP 24 PER SO WE'RE WATCHING THAT CLOSELY. AND THE OTHER ITEM THAT'S A LARGE TICKET ITEM IS OUR SELF-INSURANCE MEDICAL. WE'RE NOT SURE HOW THAT'S GOING TO WORK OUT BUT WE'RE MONITORING IT AND IF IT'S ABNORMAL SINCE WE'RE SELF-INSURED WE'LL COME BACK TO COURT. WITH THAT I'LL TAKE ANY QUESTIONS.

>> . >> BILL, THIS IS MY SECOND TIME THAT I GET TO THANK YOU.

I WAS ABLE TO DO SO SHORTLY AFTER HARVEY AND I'M GOING TO THANK YOU AGAIN TODAY.

WHEN I FIRST CAME IN TO THIS POSITION, JUDGE, WE WERE USING WHAT BILL REFERRD TO AS TAX ANTICIPATION NOTES, TAN NOTES. I CALL THOSE PAYDAY LOANS AND WE WERE IN ESSENCE -- BILL BECAME OUR BUDGET OFFICER ABOUT THE SAME TIME I CAME IN TO SERVE. WHEN I CAME IN WE WERE I GUESS TEN MONTHS WHERE WE WERE USING TANS FOR TEN MONTHS SO WE WERE BASICALLY TAKING THE PAYDAY LOAN FOR MOST OF THE YEAR, WE WOULD COME OFF OF A BAD TIME. COMMISSIONER GARCIA REMEMBERS THAT, THOSE DAYS WHEN THE BUDGETS WERE DIFFICULT BECAUSE OF THE PROPERTY TAX.

AND IN THOSE EIGHT YEARS WE'VE NOW MOVED TO WHERE WHEN HARVEY CAME WE HAD ENOUGH IN THE PIG FUND TO COVER THAT AND NOW WE HAVE ENOUGH IN THEBACK TO COVER US THROUGH THIS NEXT DISASTER AND I CREDIT THAT TO YOUR FORESIGHT, YOUR LOOKIN FORWARD AS OPPOSED TO JUST IN THE MOMENT AND I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR THE SECOND TIME THAT AS THE COUNTY IS IN THE THROWS OF TURMOIL THAT THERE IS ENOUGH POWDER DRY TO BE USED. YOU'VE BEEN AN ANT AND NOT A

GRASSHOPPER AND I THANK YOU. >>> THANK YOU, JUDGE. BILL, THE BUDGET'S BEEN SET FORE BUDGET. WE'VE GOT WHAT WE'VE GOT. AND YOUR ADVICE TO BE CAUTIOUS ON WORKMAN'S ON-RAMPING UP STAFL THE DEPARTMENT DIRECTORS HEAR YOUR WORDS.

WHAT IS IN YOUR ESTIMATE, WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL BE THE LIKELY FINANCIAL IMPACT THAT HARRIS COUNTY AND OTHER COUNTIES IN TEXAS COULD SEE? BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO UNDERSTAND, HARVEY, A FLOOD IS A FLOOD AND THERE'S PROPERTY DAMAGE.

BUT IS THIS EVENT LIKELY TO HAVE A REVENUE OR A APPRAISAL IMPACT ON TEXAS COUNTIES?

>> IT COULD. IT DEPUTIES ON -- AND THAT'S WHY I'M WORKING WITH JIM ROBINSON AND HE'S WORKING WITH H CAD. THE EVALUATION WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DONE AS OF JANUARY ONE, HOWEVER I HAVEN'T RECEIVED MY NOTICE JET AND THERE'S ALSO THE APPRAISAL PROCESS THAT PEOPLE CAN GO OUT AND TRY TO GET A LOWER AMOUNT. AND THERE WILL BE A LOT OF EMOTION IN THAT. SO ELBOW THAT WE'LL BE OKAY THIS YEAR.

AGAIN YOU ALL HAVE SOME TOUGH DECISIONS COMING WHEN YOU SET THE TAX RATE.

THERE ARE SOME OPTIONS IN THERE FOR A DISASTER WHICH THIS WOULD BE PART OF IT.

BUT WE'RE VERY FORTUNATE AT THIS POINT IS REMEMBER THAT BY GETTH ING RID OF THE TAX ANTICIPATION NOTES WE HAVE THE CASH IN THE BE AN TODAY TO GET US ALMOST THROUGH THIS ENTIRE YEAR SO NOW WE'RE TALKING ABOUT NEXT YEAR. SO WE HAVE THE FLEXIBILITY TO MONITOR THIS CLOSELY. , AND I DON'T KNOW, JUST LIKE Y'ALL DON'T KNOW, WE HAVE A LOT OF TOOLS IN TOOL BOX TO TAKE CARE OF THINGS, BUT IT'S THE LONG-TERM EFFECT.

SO AS FAR AS THAT GEESE IN THE PREVIOUS YEARS, BACK IN '09 WE HAD THIS MAJOR ISSUE, WE WENT TO A HIRING FREEZE SO NO ONE LOST THEIR JOB BUT WE DIDN'T REHIRE AND WE WERE ABLE TO REDUCE THE

[00:30:07]

POPULATION -- >> AT WHAT POINT WAS THE DECISION MADE?

>> IT WAS MADE WHEN EMPLOYMENT WENT DOWN AND NEXT YEAR WE NEEDED TO CUT ANOTHER HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS, SO THE DECISION WAS MADE AT THAT TIME WAS TO WORK WITH THE DEPARTMENTS AND SO WE DIDN'T CUT A THOUSAND PEOPLE, WE CUT A THOUSAND FTES. SO IN YOUR SHOP IN THE CONSTABLE'S SHOP AND OTHER SHOPS SOME PEOPLE JUST WORKED HIGH WIND ALERT TWO 32 HOURS AND GOT A SIDE JOB, AND WE GREW BACK OUT OF IT. AND THAT WAS THE WHOLE REASON FOR THE ROLLOVER WHICH WOULD ALLOW PEOPLE TO CONTROL A LITTLE BIT OF THEIR DESTINY SO THEY WOULD DO THAT. AND SOME DEPARTMENTS REMEMBERED WHEN THEY HAD TO LAY OFF PEOPLE SO THEY SAVED THAT. SO THAT IS A FINANCIAL SHOCK ABSORBER THAT GAVE A LITTLE BIT OF FLEXIBILITY AND CONTROL TO DEPARTMENTS. SO NOTHING HAS TO BE DECIDED NOW. I THINK WE'LL LET THIS THING GO THROUGH.

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT THE LONGER TERM EFFECTS. SO AALWAYS LOOK FIVE, SIX YEARS OUT. I KNOW PEOPLE QUESTION ME YOU COULD EARN A LITTLE BIT MORE INTEREST AND GO THREE YEARS OUT ON THESE INVESTMENTS BUT YOU DON'T KNOW WHEN A HURRICANE COMES YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO WRITE A CHECK AND GET YOUR MONEY AND EARNING A SLIGHT MORE INTEREST WAS NOT IMPORTANT TO ME AT THAT TIME. SO I FEEL LIKE WE'VE BEEN THROUGH THESE TROUBLED SEAS BEFORE AND I'M ALSO PREPARED NOT ONLY FOR THIS EVENT BUT

HURRICANE SEASON IS RIGHT -- BEEN THERE FOR TWO EVENTS. >> TO YOUR POINT OF USING SHORT-TERM INVESTMENTS IN THE EVENT THAT WE WOULD NEED TO CALL THOSE INVESTMENTS IN, POTENTIALLY WHAT IS THE VALUE OF INVESTMENT DOLLARS THAT WE CAN BRING BACK INTO THE COUNTY

COFFERS? >> A LOT OF THE MONEY WE'RE INVESTING RIGHT NOW IS FOR OUR WEEKLY PAYROLL. SO WE'VE LAYERED IN. OUR PAYROLL IS ROUGHLY $25 MILLION A WEEK, SO THAT'S ALREADY INVESTED, LAYERED IN. SOME OF THE MONEY MAY BE AT THE HECKTRA ACCOUNTS. BUT THOSE ARE AVAILABLE AND HAVE BEEN USE IN THE PAST IF WE NEEDED SOME FUNDS FOR EMERGENCIES TO BORROW THAT MONEY.

THAT'S A LEGAL ISSUE THAT WE WOULD HAVE TO WORK THROUGH. BUT THAT'S WHY WE HAVE A LOT OF RESOURCES THAT ARE AVAILABLE, BUT WE TRY NOT TO USE THOSE UNLESS IT'S REALLY CRITICAL.

>> BUT THE UNIVERSALS OF REVENUE THAT CAN BE PULLED BACK INTO THE GENERAL FUND IS APPROXIMATELY

WHAT? >> WELL, THESE WOULD BE LOANS. I BELONGS TO THOSE OAR INTI IT IS BUT AS FAR AS I KNOW HECKTRA HAS OVER A BILLION DOLLARS IN CASH.

>> AND LASTLY BILL, I'VE BEEN HEARING SOME THINGS ABOUT THE PROCESS FOR THE PEOPLE SOFT ROLLOUT. I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE'S BEEN A LOT OF CHALLENGES WITH IT.

GIVE US AN UPDATE ON THAT, BECAUSE I THINK THAT'S PLAYING INTO OUR ABILITY TO KEEP OUR

VENDORS ON TRACK. >> SURE. SO AS FAR AS PEOPLE SOFT, THE PAYROLL WENT WITHOUT A HITCH. I HAVEN'T HEARD OF ANY MAJOR ISSUES.

WE MEET ON WEDNESDAYS. AS FAR AS THE PURCHASE ORDERS WE HAVE TO HAVE DWIGHT ACTUALLY TO TALK ABOUT THAT BUT THE WHEREBY REASON WE ASKED FOR THIS MEETING TODAY WAS ORIGINALLY IT WASN'T BECAUSE OF THIS, IT HAVE BECAUSE I WANTED TO MAKE SURE THE VENDORS GOT PAID AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, SO THERE WERE SOME IN THE NEW SYSTEM AND ALL THAT. SO THIS WAS ACTUALLY A CATCH UP TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT. I'M NOT THE EXPERT ON THAT AND MAY BE DWIGHT OR THE AUDITOR

WOULD KNOW THOSE THINGS. >>> AND BUT IF YOU WILL AT THE NEXT MEETING, IF YOU CAN GIVE US

AN UPDATE ON -- >> ABSOLUTELY. >> BECAUSE I'M UNDERSTANDING THAT WITH SOMETHING LIKE -- I THINK I'M TOLD THE UNDER THE NUS 13,000 PURCHASE ORDERS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN FILLED OR NOT BEEN PROCESSED. SO I'M NOT SURE IF THAT'S ACCURATE OR NOT BUT I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE SURE OUR VENDORS KNOW THAT WE'RE ADDRESSING THIS.

>> AND WHAT WE'LL DO IS I'LL GO BACK AND WE'LL GET TOGETHER AND MAKE SURE THAT ALL OF YOUR

OFFICES HAVE THE FACTS ON THAT SO WE CAN MAKE BETTER DECISIONS. >> COMMISSIONER ELLIS.

>> TO THE ISSUE OF VENDORS NOT BEING PAID. SO WHAT THE ON THE AGENDA WOULD

HELP US TO RESOLVE THAT ISSUE? >> I THINK WE HAD SOME VENDOR PAYMENTS THAT WE WERE GOING TO

[00:35:03]

MAKE TODAY. USUALLY HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL COURT TO MAKE THOSE PAYMENTS.

WE DID PASS A RULE THAT ANY PAYMENTS UNDER $5,000 THAT THOSE DO NOT HAVE TO COME TO COURT AND I WAS IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO GET THAT UP TO A MUCH HIGHER NUMBER, MAYBE 25,000 OR 50,000 SO VENDORS DON'T HAVE TO WAIT TWO OR THREE WEEKS TO GET PAID AND IT WAS PART OF THE SMALL BUSINESS ISSUES THAT WE'RE DOING. SO LET ME WORK ON THAT AND BRING

SOMETHING BACK NEXT TUESDAY -- >> IS ANYTHING BROAD ENOUGH -- I CAN IMAGINE, YOU SAID WE HAVE A PIG FUND FOR TWO MAJOR EVENTS. THIS IS A PRETTY UNIQUE EVENT AND I CAN IMAGINE FOLKS WON'T BE SITTING IN THE PIZZA PLACE OR A COFFEE SHOP, THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO PAY THEIR RENT, AND THEN THE LANDLORD'S GOING TO END UP FILING A PROTEST TO LOWER THE VALUE OF THE PROPERTY.

SO IF 70 PERCENT OF OUR REVENUE COMES FROM PROPERTY TAX IT'S A PRETTY FAIR ASSUMPTION THAT PROPERTY VALUES ARE GOING TO GO DOWN AS A RESULT OF THIS PROCESS.

SO THAT IS A STORM IN AND OF ITSELF THAT WILL BE COMING. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN TERMS OF A STIMULUS PACKAGE OR HOW THAT WILL TRICKLE DOWN. I KNOW A BIT GOOD OF THE STATE IS IN A DROUGHT BUT WE'RE IN A REGION WHERE OUR TWO EVENTS COULD BE HURRICANE OR COULD BE A

DROUGHT. BUT IT IS A FAIR ASSUMPTION. >> THIS IS A DOUBLE EVENT, ONE, IT CAN AFFECT OUR REVENUES LIKE A HURRICANE BUT ALSO CAN EFFECT OUR EXPENSES TREMENDOUSLY BECAUSE OF THE MEDICAL EXPENSES AND ALSO ONE OF THE EXPENSES TO HELP OUT THE CITIZENS THAT WE'RE REQUIRED TO DO. SO THIS THIS THIS IS TWO VENTS T FOR RIGHT NOW I THINK WE'RE OKAY. I'M LOOKING AT THE LONG-TERM, NOT ONLY IN OCTOBER WHEN YOU SET THE RATE AND ALL THAT BUT A YEAR OR TWO OUT. BUT YOU HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO MAKE THE DECISIONS TO SHRINK GOVERNMENT A LITTLE BIT TO COME UNDER THE WE'RE ON THAT.

>>> YOU CONTINUE TO DO ON OUTSTANDING JOB. YOU'V DONE IT IN THE PAST AND YOU CONTINUE TO DO IT AND SO MUCH OF THIS INFORMATION IS EVIDENCE OF THAT.

WE NEED TO DISPEL RUMORS RIGHT NOW. I THINK THE AUDITOR NEEDS TO COME IN HERE. WE DON'T HAVE THOUSANDS OF INVOICES TO PAY SO CAN WE PLEASE

GET HIM IN HERE? >> AND THIS ITEM WOULD COVER -- >> BEFORE WE DO, JUDGE, BILL I UNDERSTAND THERE'S AN ITEM TO MOVE FIVE MILL FROM PICK TO UNIVERSAL SERVICES FOR SOME EMERGENCY TECHNOLOGY NEEDS. AND SO THIS WILL BE THE FIRST HIT ON THE PICK?

>> THAT'S CORRECT, AND THAT'S REALLY SO THAT YOU'RE NOT WAITING TWO WEEKS TO DO SOME THINGS THAT -- THIS IS VERY FLUID, GOING VERY RAPIDLY. I'M PERSONALLY GOING TO WORK WITH THE AUDITOR AND BUDGET MR. PURCHASING TO MAKE SURE THAT EVERY DIME IS RECORDED AND SOMETHING YOU WOULD NORMALLY NOT EVEN QUESTION. BUT I'M GOING TO PERSONALLY DO

THAT SO IF YOU APPROVE IT APPROVE IT. >>> GOOD DEAL.

AND SO MY QUESTION IS WHEN DO WE START TO USE ROLLOVERS? >> SO FOR INSTANCE, THE COUNTY ENGINEER LAST TIME, HIS BUDGET WAS DEVELOPED THIS YEAR BASED ON NO INCREASE, BUT TO USE HIS ROLL OVER. SO 25 MILLION WAS TRANSFERRED TO YOUR BUDGET OF WHAT WOULD BE THE

ROLLOVER. >> SPECIFIC TO THIS 5 MILLION. >> THIS 5 MILLION? WELL, THE BUDGET THAT WE GAVE HIM WAS FAR LESS THAN WHAT WE NEEDED.

HE NEEDED 8 MILLION IN HIS ESTIMATION TO DO IT. I THINK WE GAVE HIM LIKE 2 MILLION. SOIVELY GO BACK AND LOOK AT THAT.

IN A LOT OF THOSE DEPARTMENTS A LOT OF THEM COUNTED ON THE ROLLOVER TO SUPPLEMENT WHAT THEY ASKED SO THAT'S ANOTHER ISSUE WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH.

BUT AGAIN, THIS PARTICULAR ONE, I'M GOING TO MIRROR ALL THESE EXPENDITURES THAT WE DON'T INTO A CASE WHERE THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SAYS WELL YOU DIDN'T DO THIS RIGHT AND THEN THEY

DON'T REIMBURSE. >> BUT I WOULD JUST LIKE TO EXERCISE A LITTLE BIT OF PRUDENTIALS TO KEEP THE PICK INTACT AS LONG AS POSSIBLE, GIVEN THE FACT THAT WE HAVE

[00:40:02]

ROLLOVERS ACROSS THE COUNTY. SO I THINK THIS WILL BE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR US TO UNDERSTAND

THAT. >> THE BALANCE OF THE PICK YESTERDAYS WAS A LITTLE OVER 300 MILLION. PART OF THAT WAS ALLOCATED BOND REFORM.

SO IF WE GET IN A SITUATION WHERE WE NEED THAT WE CAN USE THAT.

AGAIN, IT WAS 16 INSIDE RADAR HURRICANE TOO. AND A BOY SCOUT IS ALWAYS TRY TO BE PREPARED AND YOU HAVE TO HOLD BACK WHAT YOU CAN, SO IN THIS TIME I'M CERTAINLY -- WE'RE MOB FORKING ALL THOSE ITEMS AND WE'RE GOING TO PUT UP NEW CONTROLS WHERE PEOPLE CAN'T JUST GO ORDER STUFF -- WE DON'T WANT PEOPLE ORDERING TOO MUCH TOILET PAPER.

>> LAST WEEK I REMEMBER YOU SAYING WE SPENT 4.2 MILLION. >> YES, SIR.

THERE WERE TWO THINGS THAT HAPPENED LAST QUARTER. >> WE HAD THE HEALTH STUDY

AND -- >> WE HAD THE HEALTH STUDY, THE DOCUMENTATION WE WEREN'T ELIGIBLE TO BE REIMBURSED FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. SO THAT WAS 800,000.

THE MARGINAL AFFECT OF APPROVING THE COURT REPORTERS TO THE 117 WAS $4.2 MILLION.

NOW, REMEMBER THOUGH DURING THE REGULAR BUDGET PROCESS Y'ALL HELD BACK AND WE TALKED ABOUT THAT WE WERE GOING TO HOLD MONEY BACK AND NOT ALLOCATE OUT THE 60 MILLION THEN IT COULD HAVE BEEN THE ESTIMATE WAS ANOTHER 40 MILLION. SO MONEYS WERE HELD BACK FROM THAT ALSO. SO WE GOT PICK AND WE HAVE THE UNALLOCATED BUDGET.

INMAYBE THAT 40 MILLION WILL DRY UP NOW BECAUSE OF THE SITUATION ON THE REVENUES SO I WOULD RATHER NOT ALLOCATE THAT TO ANYTHING, SO I'M GOING TO BE PROVIDING YOU ON A WEEKLY BASIS A REPORT OF THE PICK BALANCE AND ALSO THE REGULAR BUDGET ITEMS THAT ARE APPROVED BY COURT THAT WERE NOT CONSIDERED IN THE ORIGINAL BUDGET, SO YOU CAN WATCH THAT BALANCE TOO

>>> 5 MILLION -- >> NO MORE QUESTIONS, IT CAME OUT OF REGULAR BUDGET MONEY.

>> AND I ASSUME BILL, AND I'M TRYING TO THINK THROUGH THIS AND I BELIEVE WE WANT -- FOR THIS PARTICULARLY WE WANT PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO WORK FROM HOME. I THINK OTHER DEPARTMENTS ARE GOING TO HAVE EXPENSES AND I'M WORRIED ABOUT TWO THINGS. FIRST IS THEM HAVING THE INCENTIVE IN AND A WAY TO SHORT -- I DON'T WANT TO SAY SHORT SHIFT BUT NOT BE AS AMBITIOUS BECAUSE IT'S GOING TO TAKE AWAY FROM THEIR ABILITY TO DO NORMAL OPERATIONS, AND SECOND IT'S GETTING REIMBURSED AS WELL FROM THE FEDS. IS IT NOT COMING FROM THE PICK

PRESENT A PROBLEM WITH THAT? >> I WILL LOOK AT IT BUT I'M TRACKING ALMOST EVERYTHING OUT OF THE PICK SO THE PICK IS THE FINANCIAL SIDE TO GET REIMBURSED INTO.

AS FAR AS THE OTHER ITEMS LIKE THE ONE LAST WEEK, THAT DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE EVENT AND THAT WOULD COME OFF THE OTHER. BUT THE WORKING FROM HOME AND ALL THAT I HAVE AN ITEM GOING TO BE ON THE NEXT AGENDA THERE OUR HR DEPARTMENT ABOUT FOR INSTANCE IF YOU'RE A FIRST RESPONDERS OR PART OF THE EVENT, THEN WE PROBABLY WANT TO DO WITH A WE DO IN ALL EVENTS AND INSTEAD OF PEOPLE USING THEIR COMP TIME AND BEING MACED OUT AND GIST I'M NOT GETTING PAID FOR THIS THAT WE GO TO WHERE WE PAY PEOPLE FOR THAT. BUT I WANT THE DOCUMENTATION TO

BE MORE THAN IT'S BEEN IN THE PAST. >>> SO WE HAVE A QUESTION ALREADY FROM THE AUDITOR THAT THE COMMISSIONER ASKED AND NOW WE'RE MOVING TO ITEM THREE.

SO MIGHT I SUGGEST WE ASK THE AUDITOR TO COME BY SO WE CAN FINISH ANSWERING THE FIRST

QUESTION AND THEN WE'LL KEEP GOING DOWN THE AGENDA. >>> DID YOU SAY THAT $800,000

THAT WAS A HEALTH DEPARTMENT DEAL, RIGHT? >> IT WAS BETWEEN THE HEALTH

DEPARTMENT AND THE COMMUNITY SERVICES DEPARTMENT. >> I WANT THAT TO BE PUT ON THE

AGENDA FOR NEXT WEEK. THANK YOU. >> COUNTY AUDITOR.

[Item 6]

>> MIKES, YOU PROBABLY HEARD WHAT I SAID EARLIER ABOUT IN REFERENCE TO A RUMOR.

SO WHAT'S THE DEAL? >> WELL, LET ME MAKE SURE I UNDERSTAND THE CONTEXT.

WHAT'S THE DEAL RELATED TO PEOPLE SOFT? OKAY.

AS FAR AS VENDOR PAYMENTS GO, WHEN WE CONVERTED CONVERTED FROO PEOPLE SOFT, THERE WERE

[00:45:02]

APPROXIMATELY 12,000 ACTIVE PURCHASE ORDERS IN IFIS THAT WERE CANCELED.

THE MECHANISM THAT WAS COME UP WITH TO POPULATE LATE PEOPLE SOFT WITH THOSE PURCHASE ORDERS SO WE COULD PAY THE INVOICES WAS SEVERAL STEPS. THE DEPARTMENTS WERE ASKED WITHIN REQUISITIONS IN PEOPLE SOFT FOR EACH OF THOSE PURCHASE ORDERS.

THE PURCHASING DEPARTMENT THEN WAS TO TURN THOSE REQUISITIONS INTO PEOPLE SOFT PURCHASE ORDERS. ONCE THOSE PURCHASE ORDERS WERE ESTABLISHED IN PEOPLE SOFT, THEN PEOPLE SOFT WOULD ALLOW THE COUNTY AUDITOR TO PROCESS PAYMENTS AGAINST THOSE PURCHASE ORDERS. IT ALL SOUNDS PRETTY EASY BUT THE REALITY IS WHEN THE PROCESS STARTED, AND I DIDN'T KNOW THIS AHEAD OF TIME, AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE WIFE KNEW BUT THE ACTUAL SETTING UP OF THE PURCHASE ORDERS IN THE PURCHASING DEPARTMENT WAS NOT SOMETHING THEY COULD DO EXTREMELY QUICKLY. SO THE DEPARTMENTS HAD ENTERED ABOUT 5500 REQUISITIONS BUT PURCHASING AT THAT POINT HAD ONLY BEEN ABLE TO CONVERT ABOUT 1600 OF THOSE IN THE PURCHASE ORDERS. SO I ENDED UP, MY DEPARTMENT, WITH A LOT OF INVOICES THAT I COULD NOT PAY BECAUSE THE PURCHASE ORDERS HAD NOT YET BEEN ESTABLISHED NOW, BOTH PURCHASING AND MY DEPARTMENT AND THE DEPARTMENTS TO SOME EXTENT HAVE BEEN WORKING TO GET CAUGHT UP. AND THAT'S THE REASON I WANTED TO GET PAYMENTS ON THIS COURT, BECAUSE THERE WERE A LOT OF VENDORS THAT NORMALLY WOULD HAVE GOT PAID ON LAST COURT THAT DID NOT GET PAID. SO ON THIS COURT I'M ASKING FOR YOU TO APPROVE VENDOR PAYMENTS THAT TOTAL AROUND $45.7 MILLIONS. THAT IS MILLION 1800 INVOICES AND THAT'S APPROXIMATELY 600 VENDORS. HOWEVER, I DON'T WANT TO JUST LEAVE IT THERE, BECAUSE WE'RE STILL NOT ABLE TO PAY AROUND 5300 INVOICES THAT I'VE GOT IN MY QUEUE RIGHT NOW. SO I KNOW THE DEPARTMENT IS WORKING VERY HARD TO GET THOSE ADDITIONAL PURCHASE ORDERS SET UP AND I WILL BE COMING BACK NORMAL COURT WITH OUR NORMAL AGENDA ITEM NEXT WEEK AND IT TO GOAT AS MANY OF THOSE PAID AS POSSIBLE.

I DON'T WANT LIKE OBVIOUSLY, NONE OF US WOULD, VENDORS NOT GETTING PAID PROMPTLY.

SO WE'RE WORKING OUR WAY THROUGH THIS AND I THINK THE -- CAN TALK MORE SPECIFICALLY HOW HE CAN GET THOSE PURCHASE ORDERS SET UP. SO THAT'S THE SITUATION AS WE ARE MEETING TODAY.

>> COMMISSIONER GARCIA. >> THANK YOU, SIR. MIKE, HOW -- WHAT IS THE -- HOW

LONG HAVE THOSE PURCHASE ORDERS BEEN PENDING TO BE PAID? >> I THINK IT WAS FEBRUARY 20 WHEN WE MORE OR LESS FROZE D THAT'S THE DATE WE COULD PAY THROUGH THE IFA SYSTEM.

SO INVOICES AFTER FEBRUARY 20 STARTED COMING IN AND THEY KEPT COMING IN AND THEY OPENED UP THE PEOPLE SOFT SYSTEM TO ALLOW DEPARTMENTS TO START PUTTING IN THEIR REQUISITIONS ON MARCH 2.

SO WE HAD ABOUT 12 DAYS WHERE WE KEPT GETTING INVOICES TO PAY BUT WE REALLY COULDN'T START

ADDRESSING GETTING THEM SET UP IN PEOPLE SOFT. >> THAT SOUNDS COUNTER-INTUITIVE IF WE KNEW WE'RE GRAVITATE TOWARDS A NEW SYSTEM, WHY WEREN'T WE ABLE TO MAKE THAT

[00:50:05]

SEAMLESS? >> NOW YOU'RE GETTING INTO THE TECHNOLOGY PART BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I WAS TOLD. AND OF COURSE THE DEPARTMENT THAT IS OUR TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT THAT TELLS US WHAT WE CAN DO AND WHAT WE CAN'T DO AND HOW FAST WE CAN DO IT, UNIVERSAL SERVICES, THAT'S WHAT WE WERE TOLD. I KNOW A LOT OF DEPARTMENTS WERE ANXIOUS TO GET GOING ON SETTLING UP THOSE REQUISITIONS SO PURCHASING COULD SET UP THE PURCHASE ORDERS SO THAT PROCESS STARTED ON MARCH 2. AND AGAIN, DEPARTMENTS WERE ENTERING THEM MUCH FASTER THAN PURCHASING WAS ABLE TO TURN THAT INTO PURCHASE ORDERS.

SO INVOICES CONTINUED TO COME IN AND I THINK THAT WYATT IS APPROACHING 3,000.

I HEARD FROM U.S. THERE ARE ABOUT 12,000 THAT WE NEED TO REPLACE.

>> COMMISSIONER ELLIS. >> I'M WONDERING, MIKE, IS THERE ANYTHING WE CAN -- THESE ARE SMALL VENDORS BY AND LARGE, IS THAT A FAIR COMMENT? OR DO YOU KNOW?

>> THESE ARE ALL SIZE VENDORS AND I'LL JUST TELL YOU WE HAD A MEETING OF THE EXECUTIVE STEERING COMMITTEE LAST WEDNESDAY, AND I AND OTHER ON THE EXECUTIVE STEERING COMMITTEE, WHY COULDN'T IT GET MORE VENDORS PAID ON LAST COURT. AND I THINK WHAT WE REALIZED WAS THAT WE WERE NOT PRIORITIZING. I TALKED TO SEVERAL DEPARTMENTS, I SAID HOW ARE YOU ENTERING -- YOU GOT 400 PURCHASE ORDERS YOU NEED TO REPLACE. HOW ARE YOU ENTERING THEM? OH, WE'RE STARTING ON THE TOP. WE GOT A LIST. WELL, THE TOP VENDOR MAY NOT HAVE A SINGLE IMVOICE SITTING IN MY SHOP, HOW IS PURCHASE ENTERING THEM? I THINK THEY WERE TAKING THEM, THIS ONE, THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY PRIOR -- THEY WEREN'T PRIORITIZING THEM EITHER. SO THAT BECAME APPARENT. AND AFTER THAT MEETING I SENT THE WYATT A LIST. I SAID HERE'S THE ONES I HAVE A LOT OF DOLLARS FOR.

AND THIS HAVE BEEN WORKING THOSE. THE SAME IN THE DEPARTMENTS TO TRIED TO COMMUNICATE TO THE DEPARTMENTS E HERE ARE THE ONES THAT YOU NEED TO PROCESS.

SO WE HAVE QUITE A MIX WHICH ARE BECAUSE I HAVE THIS LISTS HERE OF ONES I CANNOT PAY.

I HAVE A VENDOR THAT WE OWE $3.3 MILLION. NOW, THEY'RE SHOOTING FOR IN THE CASE WEEK, BUT SOMEHOW THAT DID NOT GET SET UP THAT I COULD INCLUDE THAT ON TODAY'S COURT.

WE HAVE A HAVE BEEN DOOR FOR 1.4 MILLION, A VENDOR FOR 1.3. SO SOME OF THE LARGE ONES HAVE NOT BEEN PAID. A LOT OF THE SMALL ONES WHO REALLY NEED THE CASH FLOW HAVE NOT BEEN PAID. SO TODAY WE'RE PAYING ABOUT 1800.

THAT'S GREAT. THAT MAKES -- I'M SETTING ON 5,300 THAT I COULD NOT PAY TODAY. OZOOBVIOUSLY WE GOT A LOT OF WORK TO GET THESE SET UP SO I

CAN GET A BIG PART OF THAT ON NEXT WEEK'S COURT. >>> WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SUGGEST IS THAT CONSIDERING WHAT THESE VENDORS ARE GOING TO GO THROUGH IN THIS ECONOMY RIGHT NOW, THE DIFFICULTY ON OUR END OF PROCESSING THEM BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE ADJUSTING TO WORKING REMOTELY IF THERE'S SOMETHING THAT YOU AND YOUR TEAM COME UP WITH THAT WE OUGHT TO DO, EVEN IF IT MEANS WE NEED TO MEETEN EXTRA TIME, IN THIS ENVIRONMENT WE DON'T WANT TO EXACERBATE AN ALREADY BAD SITUATION, SO FEW WHY YOU COME UP WITH SOMETHING, I'M SURE FOR ALL OF US OUR REALTORS WOULD LOVE TO GET US OUT OF THE HOUSE. WE CAN DO IT REMOTELY WITH AN HOUR'S NOTICE. IT IS WHAT IT IS BUT WE OUGHT TO DO AS MUCH AS WE CAN --

>> LET ME SAY THAT I TOTALLY AGREE AND I MET THIS MORNING WITH MY STAFF, BECAUSE I'M JUST CONSTANTLY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO ACCELERATE THIS PROCESS AND I AM TRANSFERRING TWO PEOPLE WHO ARE VERY ANALYTICAL FROM MY INTERNAL AUDIT GROUP OVER TO ACCOUNTS PAGE SO I CAN START

[00:55:06]

RUNNING REPORTS. I WANT TO SEE FOR INSTANCE WHICH DEPARTMENTS HAVEN'T GOTTEN ALL THEIR REQUISITIONS IN. IS THERE SOMETHING WE CAN HELP YOU WITH.

AND AGAIN MORE OF THIS THAT WILL, WHO ARE THE VENDORS THAT ARE HOLDING UP, HELP US TO TRY TO PRIORITIZE THOSE AND GET THOSE PAID FIRST. BUT YES, I WOULD BE VERY WILLING TO MEET WITH OTHERS PURCHASING. I THINK DWIGHT AND I NEED TO TACKLE THIS.

SO WE NEED TO ALL -- EACH OF US HAVE PEOPLE, MAYBE THEY CAN'T DO THIS, MAYBE THEY CAN, BUT WE'RE TRYING THE FIGURE OUT HOW THEY CAN GET PAID BECAUSE WHAT THEY DO IT TELLS THEM THEN DOWN HERE.

AND OBVIOUSLY THEY WON'T HAVE A COMMUNITY CENTER OR PARK TO WORK IN.

SO IF WE CAN WORK TOGETHER AND MAKE A DIFFICULT SITUATION BETTER

>>> EARLIER BILL MADE THE REFERENCE TO A DIRECTION AND I DON'T KNOW IF WE HAVE ALREADY APPROVED THAT AND THEREFORE FURTHER ACTION IS NOT NECESSARY BUT WHERE THERE WERE EXPENDITURES OR INVOICES THAT WERE 50,000 OR LESS THAT WE CAN IN ESSENCE SAY ALL THOSE ONCE APPROVED BY AUDITOR, BUDGET OFFICE AND PURCHASING SHOULD GO AHEAD AND BE PROCESSED RECEIVE YOU DON'T HAVE TO COME BACK TO COURT FOR ITEMS UNDER 50,000. THAT TAKES CARE FOR A LOT OF THESE SMALLER REN DOORS WHO WILL BE MOST IMPACTED IN THIS CIRCUMSTANCE.

DO WE NEED TO DO ANYTHING ANYTHG ADDITIONAL TO ALLOW THAT 50,000 CAP OR HAVE WE ALREADY DONE

THAT? >> I'LL TRY THE EXPLAIN. THERE WERE A LOT OF DEPARTMENTS WHO WOULD PUT ITEMS ON THE AGENDA, THEY WOULD SAY I WANT TO REIMBURSE PHILLIP FOR $1,400. I WANT MARIA TO BE PAID FOR HER MILEAGE THAT'S OVER A LIMIT WE HAD AT THE TIME AND THOSE WERE APPEARING ON THE AGENDA, AND I THINK COMMISSIONER KEGEL SAID WHY ARE THOSE ITEMS NOT ON THE GENTLED? AND I AGREE, I DON'T THINK THEY NEED TO INDIVIDUAL BY PUT ON THE AGENDA BY MULTIPLE DEPARTMENTS AND WE HAD A MOTION IN COURT THAT ANY ITEM UNDER 5,000-DOLLAR, DON'T PUT THEM ON COURT, JUST SENT THEM TO THE AUDITOR'S OFFICE BUT I STILL PUT THOSE ITEMS ON THE LIST OF THINGS I ASK YOU TO APPROVE. SO REALLY WHAT WE DID WAS FAIRLY LIMITED.

WHAT WE DID WAS TELL THE DEPARTMENTS YOU DON'T HAVE TO TELL TO COURT AND HAVE COURT APPROVE IT, THEN GIVE IT TO THE AUDITOR FOR ME TO PROCESS, SKIP THE COURT PART, JUST GIVE IT TO THE AUDITOR. BUT I STILL PUT THOSE ON THE LIST THAT I HAVE YOU APPROVE EVERY COURT. AND ROBERT, I GUESS WE'VE LOOKED THE STATUTE YOU AND I, SEVERAL TIMES, AND THIS DOUBLE APPROVAL SEEMS TO BE WHAT THE INTERPRETATION OF THIS STATUTE IS, NOT ONLY IN IN COUNTY BUT AS I TALKED TO COATS THROUGHOUT TEXAS, THE STATUTE SEEMS TO ME TO MEMORIZE SAY WHEN YOU PAY SOMEBODY, THE AUDITOR APPROVES IT AND COURT APPROVES IT.

THE AUDITOR FIRST, COURT SECOND. THAT'S WHY I'VE ALWAYS PUT THESE AGENDA ITEMS ON.

BUT IS THERE A WAY WE COULD SHORT CIRCUIT THAT? >> WE LOOK AT THAT BEFORE BUT WE'VE BEEN LOOKING TO THANKS TO TALK TO THE GOVERNOR ABOUT, AND I BELIEVE THE GOVERNOR WOULD HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO SUSPEND THE NEED FOR DOUBLE PRESENTATIONS TO THE COURT AND SO THAT MAY BE SOMETHING WE CAN DO TO COMMISSIONER ELLIS' POINT, BECAUSE WE CAN NOW HAVE MEETINGS BY TELEPHONE AND MAYBE WE SCHEDULE MORE MEETINGS JUST TO APPROVE THESE THINGS DURING THIS EMERGENCY TIME TO GET THE MONEY FLOWING. BECAUSE I THINK THERE ARE

OPPORTUNITIES HERE -- >> IT SOUNDS LIKE EVERYONE IS IN AGREEMENT TO GET THIS MOVING.

SOUNDS LIKE WE NEED TO FIND WHERE THE BOTTLENECKS ARE AND FIX IT.

>> I'M SORRY, JUDGE, BECAUSE THAT'S GOING TO BE MY ASK. EXCUSE ME.

THAT IS COMING FROM -- BUT THAT WAS GOING TO BE MY ASK, IS THAT IF WE CAN ASK THE PURCHASING

[01:00:06]

AGENT, THED A AUDITOR'S OFFICE TO WORK AS A TASK FORCE TO RESOLVE THIS, BECAUSE COMMISSION ER KEGEL IS RIGHT. THERE'S A LOT OF BUSINESSES THAT ARE GOING TO BE THE MOST VULNERABLE TO BE IMPACTED BY THE SLOW DOWN IN THE ECONOMY AND ANYTHING WE CAN DO TO KEEP THEM MOVING THAT WILL BE ESSENTIAL. SO I'M NOT SURE THAT -- WHAT DIRECTION THAT NEEDS FROM US BUT WE NEED YOU GUYS TO BE WORKING TOGETHER TO RESOLVE THIS BOTTLE NECK, BECAUSE I'VE ALWAYS BEEN CONCERNED ABOUT SMALL BUSINESSES GETTING PAID PROPERLY BUT RIGHT NOW IT IS EXTREMELY CRITICAL

THAT THEY GET PAID PROPERLY. >>> WE'VE HEARD EXAGGERATED FIGURES BEFORE ABOUT HOW LONG IT TAKES THE COUNTY TO PAY SOMEBODY, SO BOTTOM LINE, ABOUT HOW FAR HAVE ARE YOU BEHIND?

HOW MANY DAYS OREGON WEEKS ARE YOU BEHIND? >> I THINK I'M ABOUT TWO WEEKS

BEHIND. >> ABOUT TWO WEEKS, SO I WANTED TO GET THAT OUT BECAUSE WE'RE NOT TALKING MONTHS. TWO WEEKS IS STILL A LONG TIME BUT Y'ALL ARE ON TOP OF IT.

>> WE'RE WORKING ACUTRIMLY HARD AND BOTH THE PURCHASING DEPARTMENT AND AUDITOR'S DEPARTMENT WERE IN HERE WORKING THIS WEEKEND TO TRY TO GOAT AS MANY GET AS MANY OF THESE ON THIS LIST TO GET PAID. I KNOW WE'LL CONTINUE TOWORK HARD BUT I THINK THAT EVEN NEEDS FOB AWARE OF WHAT THE SITUATION IS AND WE WILL TRY TO PRIORITIZE

AND BRAINSTORM AND WE'LL DO EVENING WE CAN. >>

>> JUST LET US KNOW HOW WE CAN HELP. IS THERE A MOTION ON THIS ITEM

SEVEN FOR THE COUNTIED A TERROR? >> I HAVE A SEVEN, BUT ANY WAY IT'S REQUESTED BY COUNTIED A FOR

FOR APPROVAL OF CLAIMS FROM -- ITEM SIX. >> SECOND.

>> ALL IN FAVOR? MOTION CARRIES UNANIMOUSLY. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

>> APPEALS AND WE'VE BEEN WORKING WITH DEPARTMENTS TO GET THEM TO SEND US THE REQUESTS FOR ANY VENDOR THEY NEED TO BE PAID IMMEDIATELY FOR THE POS THAT NEED TO BE REPLACED.

NO NEW BUSINESS NEEDS TO TAKE PLACES IN IT'S IT INVOLVES COVID-19.

BUT WE HAVE BOERNE WORKING TO PROCESS THOSE POS AND AS I TOLD MIKE, I'VE TALKED WITH BARBARA ABOUT SOME OTHER OPTIONS AND SHE THINKS THAT MAYBE WE CAN HAVE THE COURT AUTHORIZE OR ALLOW THEM TO MAKE PAYMENTS THROUGHOUT THE WEEK AS THESE POS GET DEVELOPED RATHER THAN HAVE TO COME TO COURT. AGAIN WE'RE FOCUSING ON THE SMALL -- ANY OUTSTANDING INVOICE THAT HAVE WAITING ON WE HAVE ASKED THE DEPARTMENTS TO SEND THOSE TO US FIRST.

BECAUSE THE FIRST WEEK WE WERE GETTING THEM RANDOMLY. SO THAT'S HOW WE'RE GOING TO BE

FOCUSING ON THE TASK AT HAND. >>> THANK YOU. >> SO THE SUGGESTION IS WHATEVER HAS TO BE DONE YOU ALL COME UP WITH IT. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL IF WE HAVE TO MEET. PEOPLE GOING TO BE REAL TIGHT FOR CASH, OBVIOUSLY.

>> WE'LL FOCUS ON THE SMALL BUSINESSES AND THE ONES THAT NEED THE CASH AND GET THOSE POS INITIALLY PUT IN PLACE. BUT AGAIN NEED THE DEPARTMENT SET UP BECAUSE THEY HAVE REQUESTS FOR A CONTRACT FROM THREE YEARS AGO, THOSE DON'T NEED TO BE SUBMITTED TO US AGAIN. WE HAVE A LOT OF DEPARTMENTS STRUGGLING TO GET REQUISITIONS SENT IN. SO WE'RE CLEANING UP EVERYTHING DILIGENTLY AND WE'LL CONTINUE TO WORK WITH THE RECOMMENDATIONS YOU HAVE BUTTIVELY WORK WITH MIKE'S GROUP CLOSELY.

>>> SO LET'S GO BACK UP TO THE SECOND ITEM ON THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE AND THIS IS FLIES AND

[Item 2]

PPES FOR THE JAIL SO THEY CAN CLEAN UP TOUCH MOMENTS AND I WILL SAY I TALKED TO KING COUNTY IN SEATTLE AND ONE THING THEY SAID IS ONE LESSON THEY TOOK IS TO SEPARATE THE INMATES AHEAD OF ANYBODY GETTING SICK. SO I KNOW JOHN IS WORKING WITH THE SHERIFF TO SEE HOW WE CAN TO

[01:05:05]

THAT. >> SHERIFF'S OFFICE FOR APPROVAL OF SUPPLIES IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19 WITH NECESSARY BUDGET

APPROPRIATION TRANSFERS. ALL IN FAVOR? >> I THINK I HAVE IN HERE IN THE

BACKUP THAT IT'S 35,004 PER WEEK, IS THAT -- >> SAY THAT AGAIN COMMISSIONER.

>> THE BUMP IS THAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT $35,492 PER WEEK. >> YEAH.

>> THE IT IS FISCAL NOTE ON THAT. >> WEEK ONE IS THE 38 AND THE ADDITIONAL WEEK IS 35. THAT'S WHAT I HAVE TOO, YEAH, THAT'S WHAT I HAVE.

>> I WASN'T SURE IF THERE WAS SOMETHING ELSE THEY MISSS THAT WAS IN THERE AND IF IT'S BEEN

MOVED TO THE SECOND, AND I'LL BE VOTING IN FAVOR OF THAT. >> SO WE HAVE A MOTION AND A SECOND. ALL IN FAVOR. MOTION CARRIES UNANIMOUSLIABLE.

[Item 3]

SO THE THIRD ITEM IS THE UNIVERSAL SERVICES ITEM. AND IN BRUISE WANTS TO COME AND EXPLAIN THAT, THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL. AND THIS IS -- WE ASKED YESTERDAY, IT WAS BASICALLY NO BARS OR CLUBS, RESTAURANTS, ONLY TAKEOUT DELIVERY AND DRIVE THROUGH AND THE THIRD POINT IS STAY HOME. SO WEARIFUL DON'T WANT PEOPLE OUT AND ABOUT AND WE NEED TO LEAD BY NEW HAMPSHIRE, UNLESS FOLKS NEED TO GO BUY ESSENTIAL THINGS OR GO OUT AND GET SOME FRESH AIR. SO WE NEED TO RACE AGAINST TIME

TO MAKE SURE OUR EMPLOYEES ARE SETTLE UP TO WORK THE HOME. >>> YES WE'VE BEEN WORKING TO PREPARE FOR THIS AND THE REQUEST WAS RECOMMENDED REALLY BY THE ENGINEERS' DEPARTMENT THAT HAS A PICK FUND THAT GOES ON FOR ALL ISSUES. S THAT THE FIRST TIME THAT WE'VE NEEDED TECHNOLOGY TO SUPPORT THIS DASSER. AND FOR EXAMPLE WE HAVE ONE DEPARTMENT ASKING FOR 1200 SIT RISK LICENSES. THAT'S $480,000 THERE.

I HAVE ANOTHER THOUSAND I NEED TO ACCOMMODATE THE NEEDS EVERYBODY'S IS ASKING FOR.

THAT'S ANOTHER 400,000. ALONG WITH THAT WE NEEDS THE INFRASTRUCTURE IN PLACE.

THAT HAS A COST. AND THE OTHER CONCERN IS OUR BORDER.

OUR SECURITY. WE HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO ALLOW THESE PEOPLE IN AND OUT. SO I DON'T HAVE ALL THOSE CROSSED YET.

THAT'S WHY I ASKED FOR $5 MILLION, I ASKED BILL TO MANAGE IT AND WE NEED TO DO THAT

FOR PEOPLE TO WORK FROM HOME. >>> ANYTHING TO ADD, JOHN? >> NO, JUDGE, THAT'S CORRECT, WE HAVE BEEN WORKING CLOSELY WITH BRUCE. IT'S REALLY THE INFRASTRUCTURE AND PRIORITIZING THOSE INDIVIDUALS WHO NEED TO WORK FROM HOME BECAUSE A LOT OF THE DEPARTMENTS AREN'T SURE SO THEY ASKED FOR ONE FOR EVERY PERSON THEY HAVE.

SHOW US WHO YOU REALLY NEED UNTIL YOU HAVE ENOUGH BUT THIS IS CERTAINLY WARRANTED.

>> SECOND. >> WE HAVE A MOTION AND A SECOND, ALL IN FAVOR? WE HAVE REVIEW BY BUDGET MANAGEMENT PURCHASING AND AUDITOR'S OFFICE.

SO WITH THAT. WE GOT A MOTION AND SECOND, ALL IN FAVOR?

MOTION CARRIES UNANIMOUSLY. >> I KNOW THIS IS INFORMAL BUT CAN I PEEK TO THE CONCERNS OF --

>> YES. >> CAN I SPEAK TO THE CONCERNS EXPRESSED ON THE RP SYSTEM WE LAUNCHED IN WE CULT OFF ALL POS ON THE 20TH. WE RELEASED IT ON THE SECOND, MIKE JUST TOLD YOU THAT THEY'RE 14 DAYS BACK, SO REALLY THEY'RE TWO DAYS BEHIND AND ONE OF THE BUSINESS REQUIREMENTS WAS THEY DID NOT WANTTOUS MIGRATE THE POS FROM IFIS FLORIDA THERE.

THEY WANTED US THE HAND ENTER THEM. SO THAT'S THE EXTRA TWO DAYS IT'S TAKING. THERE'S EC TECHNICAL ISSUE. THEY CHOSE NOT TO USE THE TECHNOLOGY TO MAY GRATE FROM THE OLD SYSTEM TO THE NEW SYSTEM. TO THERE ARE NO ISSUES WITH PERFORMANCE, WE'VE MET ALL BUSINESS REQUIREMENTS. I KNOW I'M SOUNDING LIKE I'M DEFENDING MYSELF BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU THIS WAS PART OF THE PROJECT PLAN AND WE DIDN'T MISS

[01:10:04]

A BEAT AND EVEN GOT PAID. SO WE'RE RIGHT ON TRACK. WE'RE TWO DAYS BEHIND BUT IT WAS EXPECTED. IT'S ESSENTIAL FOR US TO DO IT WEEKLY AND THAT'S WHAT WE'RE IN

THE MODE FOR AND WE'LL BE BACK NEXT WEEK TO GET IT DONE. >>> WHY DIDN'T THEY TRANSFER

THEM ELECTRONICALLY. >> BECAUSE THEY FELT LIKE THAT WAS AN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN UP THE DATA. BECAUSE SOME OF THAT DATA DATES BACK 20 YEARS.

>> SO BASICALLY THEY WERE TRYING TO IMPROVE THEIR RECORD. >> CLEANSING THE DATA.

[Item 4]

>>> THE FINAL ITEM IS BY THE COUNTY ENGINEER. WALK US THROUGH THESE AND THE

MOTIONS YOU NEED. >> YES JUDGE, THE FIRST ITEM IS ASK ASKING THAT WE CANCEL THE 20 TAX SALE. IT'S NOT UNCOMMON TO HAVE 1400 PEOPLE IN THE ROOM FOR THAT EVENT. ADDITIONALLY PEOPLE THAT WOULD BE PAYING THEIR TAXES FOR THE REAL PROPERTY TAXES, THE TAX OFFICES ARE CLOSE SODS THAT I TY WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GO BACK AND

PAY BACK TAX SOSES WE THINK IT'S PROMOTE TO CANCEL THAT ONE. >> SO THIS WOULD REDUCE

FORECLOSURES. >> IT WOULD STOP ALL FORECLOSURES.

>> I DO NEED SPEAK ON THAT. THIS BODY MIGHT HAVE THE ABILITY TO CANCEL THE TAX SALES WITH RESPECT THE HARRIS COUNTY. YOU WOULD NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO CANCEL OTHER TAX SALES, HOUSTON HISD. ON THE OTHER HAND THE COUNTY JUDGE HAD THAT AUTHORITY TO IN EFFECT CANCEL ALL OF THEM THROUGH HER EMERGENCY POWER. FINE APPOINTMENT BE I WANT

EVERYBODY TO UNDERSTAND WHERE WE STOOD. >>> AND WE WOULD RECOMMEND YOU

DO THAT, JUNG E-JUDGE, DOESN'T HAVE TO BE HERE IN COURT BUT -- >> AND FRANKLY JUDGE WHAT WE WANTED TO DO AND WE HAVE BEEN TALKING WITH THE OTHER TAXING INTI ISTIES OUR NOTION IS AS OF THIS MORNING THEY WERE ALL IN AGREEMENT WITH THIS SO WE WERE NOT JUST --

>> NO, YEAH. >> THANK YOU. AND I WOULD JUST SUPPORT THE MOTION ON CANCELING THE TAX SALES. AND WITH THE MOTION BE

INDEFINITELY? OR -- >> I HAVE HERE HARRIS COUNTY CANCELING THE APRIL 7, 2020 TAX SALE AND ALL PROPERTIES LISTED FOR THAT SALE BE RELISTED FOR

THE SALE SCHEDULED MAY 5. >> AND ON THAT TO YOUR POINT, COMMISSIONER WE'RE NOT SURE HOW LONG THIS WILL GO ON AND WE'RE NOT SURE OF ALL THE UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES.

>> JUDGE, WE CAN COME BACK -- >> IF WE CAN COME BACK EACH TIME.

THESE SEALS OCCUR ONCE A MONTH ON THE FEST TUESDAY SO WE GET BY APRIL WE'LL HAVE AT LEAST 30 DAY

TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO. >> AND JUDGE YOU WOULD HAVE MY FULL SUPPORT ON THIS.

AT TIMES LIKE THIS, FOLKS NEED TO -- FOLKS KNOW YOU'RE MAKING TOUGH DECISIONS BUT DECISIONS LIKE THIS LETS THEM KNOW THAT YOU'RE NOT MAKING THEM IN A VACUUM OF WHAT THE COMMUNITY IS FEELING AND WHAT THEY'RE WORRIED ABOUT AND I THINK THIS WILL HELP YOUR LETTING PEOPLE KNOW YOUR BEING THOUGHTFUL OF ALL RESIDENTS COUNTY WIDE NO MATTER WHAT PRECINCT THEY LIVE IN.

>> HERE'S GOT A FEW -- THERE'S GOING TO BE MOTIONS ON EACH OF THESE.

>> JOHN, LET ME ASK YOU A QUESTION. STATUTORILY, STATE LAW IS CLEAR ABOUT YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES AND YOUR AUTHORITY. SO BASICALLY ARE YOU BEING ASKED TO PRETTY

MUCH IMPLEMENT SOME OF MORE EMERGENCY ORDERS? >> YES, SIR.

>> SO YOU'RE TRANSFERRING THAT AUTHORITY TO HIM OR YOUR SAYING -- YOU'RE GIVING IT TO

THE COUNTY ENGINEER TO DO SOME OF YOUR STUFF? >> WE MADE A MOTION AT THE LAST COURT ASKING ALL DEPARTMENTS TO HELP US OUT WITH WHAT WE NEEDED SO EVEN FIRE MARSHALS HELPING US WITH SOME THINGS, JOHN IS HELPING US WITH SOME THINGS. SOME OF YOUR GUY'S STAFF IS HELPING US. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I CAN DO ALONE OR OEM.

WE FIGURED THAT OUT LAST QUARTER THAT I NEEDED'S HELP ESPECIALLY WITH CONTINUE KNEWTY OF GOVERNMENT. WE HAVE THE DOCTOR FROM PUBLIC HEALTH.

WE HAVE GOT EVERYBODY HERE GETTING THIS DONE BECAUSE IT'S ENORMOUS.

[01:15:07]

>> CAN I CONTINUE? >> SURE. >> SO I JUST WANTED TO MAKE THAT KNOWN BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND EXACTLY WHAT'S GOING ON, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT BUT SOMETIMES, SOME PEOPLE MAY QUESTION WHY WOULD A COUNTY ENGINEER SAY THIS OR DO THIS AND THAT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE BEING ASKED TO DO THAT UNDER THESE ORDERS.

>> AND WE HAVE A MOTION COMMISSION IT'S COMMISSIONER TO REENFORCE THAT BECAUSE TO YOUR POINT, I UNDERSTAND FOLKS NEED TO BE CLEAR ON THAT SO I'LL MAKE THAT COMMENT AFTER THIS

DISCUSSION. >> SO IS IT ANY DIFFERENT FROM THE WAY THIS HAS BEEN DONE IN THE PAST? I MEAN, WHETHER IT'S A RESTAURANT -- THE JUDGE WOULD

TELL ME NOT TO GO TO MY GYM TODAY. >> IF I CAN MAKE TWO-POINTS I THINK PART OF THE DIFFERENCE IS THIS IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF EMERGENCY THAT WE HAVE NOT DEALT WITH AND OBVIOUSLY THERE HAS TO BE A POINT PERSON. TO COMMISSIONER RADDIC'S POINT I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT FROM THE COUNTY ATTORNEY'S VIEW SHE IS THE CHIEF EMERGENCY OFFICER OF HAIR COUNTYT. COUNTY JUDGE MAKES EMERGENCY DECISIONS. OBVIOUSLY THOSE HAVE TO BE CARRIED OUT BY OVERS AND SHE ALSO NEEDS INPUT FROM MANY SOURCES BUT IT DECISIONS NEED TO

BE MADE BY THE COUNTY JUDGE. >> ABSOLUTELY. SO LET ME MAKE THAT CLEAR AND ROBERT IF YOU CAN MAKE A MOTION TO TO THAT END, BUT CERTAINLY WHAT'S HAPPING IS WE'RE TRYING TO DEAL WITH THIS EMERGENCY, WE'RE DEALING WITH IT AND I'M ASKING THE SUPPORT OF ALL COUNTY DEPARTMENTS AND THE ONES WHO ARE RELEVANT IN THE AREAS THAT MAY BE SOMETIME A LITTLE BIT BEYOND WHAT THEY NORMALLY DO BUT WE HAVE GOT TO MAR MARSHAL ALL RESOURCES.

>> THESE ARE TROUBLING TIMES, THERE'S NO QUESTION. I'LL MAKE THAT MOTION.

>> SECOND. >> THE JUDGE CAN DIRECT ANY COUNTY DORMANT DEPARTMENTS TO HELP IMPLEMENT THE POLICY BY VIRTUE OF HER POSITION AS CHIEF COUNTY OFFICE.

>> THIS GOES TO MY QUESTION, JUDGER, THESE ITEMS UNDER FOUR WHICH ARE SUBMITTED FROM THE COUNTY ATTORNEY FOR US TO APPROVE, IF I'M. APPROVE, IF I'M.(.ECL)ING CORRECTLY TO WHAT ROBERT IS SAYIN AND BECAUSE THESE ARE UNDERNEATH YOUR DIRECTION IN REALITY IT SOUNDS LIKE THESE ARE ITEMS TO WHICH THEY WOULD BE YOUR EMERGENCY POWERS AND YOU'RE JUST INFORMING US OF WHAT DIRECTION YOU'RE GOING IN AS OPPOSED TO US REALLY HAVING A

SAY ON THEM? >> I THINK THESE ARE THINGS THAT GENERALLY AND ROBERT, CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, I GUESS I COULD DO THIS BUT FOR THE CONTINUITY OF GOVERNMENT ACTION PLAN I WOULD

LIKE TO FORMALLY ACCEPT THEM. >> THAT'S SOMETHING FOR MISSERS TO ADOPT BECAUSE ITS GOES BEYOND A DECLARED EMERGENCY. THERER SITUATIONS IN INAS NEED TO BE TAKEN.

>>> ASK THE CLEANING GUIDELINES, IT'S JUST -- I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT FOR US ALL TO SEE THEM AND HAVE THIS MEETING ANYWAY SO I WANTED TO MAKE SURE WE ALL SAW IT.

>> FOR CLARIFIES, JUDGE, IN THE FUTURE I THINK IT WOULD BE EASIER FOR ME TO KNOW WHEN ITEM IS FROM THE COUNTY ENGINEER FOR US TO BE TAKING A VOTE ON AND IF IT'S INFORMATION AND I THANK YOU YOU FOR PROVIDING US INFORMATION BUT MAYBE IT WOULD BE UNDERNEATH YOUR OFTEN AS OPPOSED TO

UNDERNEATH THE COUNTIES ENGINEER WANTING SOME INFORMATION? >> WE CAN DO THAT.

AND IF YOU WOULD LIKE THE ADD A COMMA FOR THE REQUEST OF THE JUDGE, I'M HAPPY TO DO THAT TOO.

>> ROBERT, DID YOU -- DID Y'ALL PREPARE THIS ORDER? >> THE ORDER THAT -- ACTUALLY IT'S OPPOSITE. I DON'T KNOW THAT WE PREPARED IT BUT WE HAVE REPORTING LIVED IT.

I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO REVIEW IT THIS MORNING. AND WE'RE OKAY WITH THE ORDER.

IC THE CHALLENGE COMES IN OUR MISSISSIPPI INCHED AND HOW IT'S CARRIED AND WE'LL WORK WITH THE COUNTY JUDGE TO MAKE SURE IT'S CARRIED OUT PURSUANT TO HER WISHES.

>>> IS THERE ANY LIABILITY AT ALL TO THE COUNTY GOVERNMENT IF WITHIN ORDER LIKE THIS IT

[01:20:10]

CREATES FINANCIAL CHAOS FOR SOME BUSINESS OR SOMETHING THAT MAY DISAGREE WITH THE ORDER?

IS THERE ANY CASE LAW ABOUT -- >> MAYBE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT TWO DIFFERENT ORDERS.

I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE ORDER THAT ADOPTS ITEMS FOUR A THROUGH B.

>> I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE ORDER. >> THE PERMANENCY ORDER?

>> WE DID HAVE A LOT OF INPUT ON THAT ORDER AND AT THE END OF THE DAY OUR OFFICE DID PREPARE IT.

I CAN'T SAY WHO ACTUALLY TEACHED IT. THESE THINGS ARE DONE VERY

QUICKLY. >> THERE SUNNY POTENTIAL LIABILITY BASES UPON --

>> THIS MIGHT BE BETTER FOR EXECUTIVE SESSION, BUT YES THERE IS ALWAYS THE POTENTIAL FOR LIABILITY. SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO WEIGH THE RISKS AGAINST THE BENEFITS AND TAKEA. I CAN'T SAY THAT SOMEBODY WON'T BE UPSET AND WON'T FILE LAWSUITS. WE'LL DO THE BEST WE CAN TO ADVISE THE JUDGE ABOUT THOSE

KIND OF RISKS. >> AND ROBERT AND I ARE IN CONSTANT COMPLIANCE AND YOU GUYS

KNOW HOW THOROUGH AND EVERYTHING I DO. >> RAISED AN ISSUE WITH ROBERT THAT WOULD PROBABLY BE BETTER FOR YOU TO DISCUSS WITH HIM LATER ORNIDYLING WITH THE

SURVIVOR SURVIVORSHIP CLAUSE. >> THE ORDER IS NOT AS CLEAR AS IT COULD BE, JUDGE.

>> OKAY, WE CAN ADDRESS IT. SO LET'S GO BACK TO ITEM FOUR. LET'S GO THROUGH EACH OF THESE AND I THINK WE CAN APPROVE EACH OF THEM SEPARATELY. SO ITEM ACON THE CANCELING OF

THE TAX SALE THERE, A MOTION? >> SECOND. >> ALL IN FAVOR?

MOTION CARRIES UNANIMOUSLY. DID YOU SAY NO? >> I SAID AYE.

AND JUDGE, I THINK THE COUNTY ATTORNEY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU EXTEND THAT TO THE OTHER ENTITIES SO THERE WOULD BE CARE IT'S CLARITY ON THAT BUT YOU HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO DO THAT.

>> YES, AND WE'LL DISCUSS THAT AFTER COURT BUT NOTED. >>> ITEM B IS A SET OF FELONIOUS FOR CLEANING AND ADDITION INFECTING COUNTY BUILDINGS. THIS WAS PUT TOGETHER BY MY STAFF REVIEWED BY PUBLIC AND THE UTAH HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER. WE DID THIS FOR A COUPLE REASONS, BUT SOME PRECINCTS FOR EXAMPLE HAVE THEIR OWN CLEANING PROTOCOL AND THIS ALIGNS THINGS.

THE EXPENDITURES THE SHERIFF ASKED FOR EARLIER FOLLOW THIS PROCESS.

THEY'RE ALL IN LOCK STEP ON HOW TO DO THIS. >> SO THIS IS JUST WE'RE ALREADY GETTING QUESTIONS FROM DIFFERENT DEPARTMENTS WHEN THEY WANT TO CLEAN SO THIS JUST GIVES

GUIDELINES -- >> WE'RE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL COUNTY MAINTAINS BUILDINGS WITH THE EXCEPTION WITH THE JAIL AND WE'VE WORKED CLOSELY WITH THE SHERIFF BUT THERE ARE PRECINCTSES THAT MAINTAIN THEIR OWN BUILDINGS AND THEY HAVE CALL CALLED US AND WE'VE SAID HEY

THIS IS THE PROTOCOL THE USE. >> ALL IN FAVOR? MOTION CARRYIES.

>> I HAVE SET UP PUBLIC HEALTH PROFESSIONALS BECAUSE EVEN IF THE DEPARTMENT DOES DO A PORTION OVARIUM TALL HEALTH WE DO ON-SITE WASTEWATER BUT THOSE INDIVIDUALS ARE CLASSICALLY

TRAINED AND ARE LICENSED BY THE STATE. >>> I-C.

>> THIS IS WHERE WE'RE ASKING THE COUNTY ENGINEERING IN CONJUNCTION WITH OEM HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO CLOSE BUILDINGS BECAUSE UNFORTUNATELY WE HAVE HAD CASES WHERE DEPARTMENTS HAVE DECIDED TO CLOSE BUILDINGS AND NOT ADVISED US AND WE'VE FOUND OUT THREW RUMOR.

AND WE NEED TO ENSURE THAT WE'RE ADVISED SO WE CAN WORK WITH PUBLIC HEALTH TO TAKE PROMOTE

ACTION. >>> AND I GET THIS ALL THE TIME, WHAT'S OPENED AND WHAT'S CLOSED.

>> OEM WOULD UPDATE. SO WE WANT THE MAKE SURE THAT EVERYBODY IS ON -- AND THERE'S BOERNE A LOT OF CORN FUSION, AND THIS IS SO EVERYBODY UNDERSTANDS THERE'S A COURT ORDER ON THE

PROCESS. >> ALL IN FAVOR? MOTION CARRIES UNANIMOUSLY.

[01:25:07]

D. >> PROFESSOR: E-JUDGE, AND WE TRANSMITTED THIS INDIVIDUALLY TO YOUR OFFICE THE CONTINUITY GOVERNMENT PLAN.

THIS IS THE PLAN WE PUT TOGETHER IN A MATTER OF LESS THAN A WEEK. THAT'S EXTREMELY EXTENSIVE AND THERE ARE MULTIPLE LEVELS AND WE'RE ALREADY IN THE 30 LEVEL OF READINESS SO -- I CAN PROBABLY ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU HAVE I DIDN'T LOOK OVER THIS. BUT IF ONE OF US ENDS UP BEING QUARANTINED HOW DO WE VOTE?

>> THAT'S WHERE WE'RE WORKING CLOSELY AND THE DISCUSSION IS IN HERE WITH SETTING UP -- WE WERE PREPARE HAD THIS HAPPENED, IF SEVERAL OF YOU HAD NOT BEEN ABLE TO MAKE IT, WE WERE PREPARED TO

DO THIS ELECTRONICALLY. >> BECAUSE OF THE GOVERNOR'S ORDER IN FACT EVERY ONE OF YOU

CAN PHONE IT IN NOW. >> ASSUMING WE DECIDE NEXT WEEK WE MAY DO IT ELECTRONICALLY BUT IF THEY COME IN AND ONE OF US HAS TO BE SELF-QUARANTINED WE CAN STILL DIAL?

>>

SO WE'RE LOOKING AT THE VARIOUS AND BEST PRACTICES. >> YOU CAN'T GO TO A BAR THOUGH HOPEFULLY IT DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING ON IT WHEN THEY WERE TAKING MY TEMPERATURE IN THE HALLWAY. BUT JUDGE I LEARNED A VALUABLE LESSON WHEN OUR FRIEND AND COLLEAGUE, YOUR PREDECESSOR PASSED BECAUSE THERE WASMENT A CLEAR WHO'S IN CHARGE NEXT, SO WE SHORTLY AFTER THAT POINT IN TIME HAD FILED WITH THE BUDGET OFFICE OUR I GUESS CONTINUITY PLAN IN VERY SIMILAR WITH SOMETHING HAPPENS TO THE PRESIDENT IT'S THE VICE PRESIDENT. I REMEMBER WHEN ALEXANDER HAGUE SAID HE WAS IN CHARGE, THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN BEFORE SOME OF US BUT NOT BEFORE YOU WERE BORN, COMMISSIONER RIDING.

BUT JUDGE I THINK THIS IS A GOOD THING THAT WE HAVE SO IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO US THAT WE KNOW WHO'S ABLE TO STEP UP AND WE'LL GO FIVE STEPS IN IN CASE THERE'S MULTIPLE PEOPLE IN PLACE AT A TIME. AND THAT'S A BEST PRACTICE LEARNED THROUGH A DIFFICULT EXPERIENCE THAT OCCURRED IN OUR MIDST A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO, AND SO WHEN WE SIGNED THE REQUEST IT MADE ME FEEL GOOD BECAUSE IT WAS LIKE, THERE ARE ADDITIONAL THINGS YOU PUT IN THERE BUT WE ALREADY HAD THE BONES ON FILE WITH THE BUDGET MANAGEMENT. NOW I KNOW YOU HAVE THAT AS

WELL. >>> AND ONE OF THE DISCUSSIONS I'VE BEEN HAVING WITH JOHN, IT'S CRUCIAL AND NECESSARY TO HAVE THESE PLANS BUT WE NEED TO MAKE SURE FOLKS CAN IMPLEMENT THEM.

AND SO THE MOTION GOES TO THAT POINT, IS I NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT HE'S ABLE TO GO AND WORK WITH THE DEPARTMENTS AND SAY OKAY, LET'S DO IT. RUN ME THROUGH IT AND MAKE SURE IT'S NOT JUST A PIECE OF PAPER. SO THE MOTION IS THAT THE COUNTY'S COVID-19 CONTINUITY OF GOVERNMENT ACTION PLAN BE APPROVED AND THE COUNTY ENGINEER AND COUNTY ATTORNEY'S OFFICE BE AUTHORIZED TO IMPLEMENT PLAN WITH ALL ELECTED AND APPOINTED OFFICIALS.

DO WE HAVE A SECOND? >> SECOND. A SECOND BY COMMISSIONER ELLIS.

AIL IN FAVOR? MOTION CARRIES UNANIMOUSLY. THANK YOU.

JOHN, E. IS THE HECTOR ONE. >> JUDGE ON EXTRA STARTING LAST WEEK WE STOPPED TAKING CASH TOLLS. SO THERE WASN'T THE TRANSMIT OF MONEY. SO THIS JUST ALLOWS THE COURT AND WHAT HAPPENS THE INDIVIDUALINGS ARE TOLD TO DRIVE THROUGH THE LANE, WE TRAVEL BAN THEIR LICENSE PLATE NUMBER AND WE BILL THEM. WE GIVE THEM THE ABILITY TO PAY ONLINE WHEN THEY KNOW THEY'VE DONE THAT. BUT IF THEY FORGET WE WILL SEND THEM A BILL.

THIS JUST WAVES THE SERVICE FEES ASSOCIATED WITH THAT BECAUSE THE WAY THE RULES ARE RIGHT NOW IF YOU DRIVE THROUGH AND DON'T PAY A TOLL YOU HAVE TO PAY A SERVICE FEE.

[01:30:03]

WE'RE ASKING THEM TO DO THAT SO CLEARLY WE DON'T WANT TO CHARGE A SERVICE FEE.

>> JUDGER, QUICK THOUGHT ON THAT. ONE OF THE THIS IS THAT EXTRA HAS BEEN WORKING ON FOR A LONG TIME. IF YOU GO TO AUSTIN WITH YOUR CELL PHONE, YOU CAN RENT A SCOOTER, YOU CAN RENT RENT A CAR.

THERE'S TECHNOLOGY OUT THERE. THIS MAY BE A GOOD TIME THAT WE ENCOURAGE EXTRA TO CONTINUE LOOKING INTO THAT AND I COULD ENCOURAGING YOU JUDGE, SINCE WE'RE TAKING DOWN AN OPPORTUNITY TO PAY AT A WINDOW THAT WE QUICKLY MAYBE EXPEDITE, MAY COST A LITTLE BIT MORE, BUT I WOULD URGE, ESPECIALLY SINCE YOUR TECHNOLOGICALLY SAVVY, THAT WE PUSH EXTRA TO PAY AND UTILIZE FUNDS BECAUSE TO THE SCENE PLATFORMS ARE IN OTHER PLACES AND TO PUSH AND MOVE THAT

ACCESSIBILITY QUICKER. >> AND JUDGE, THEY ARE DOING THAT.

IN FACT THEY HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO BUILD BY LICENSE PLATE ALREADY.

MANY TOLL ROAD AUTHORITIES TOO DO THAT. SO THEY ARE WORKING ON THAT.

>> SO I HAVE A MOTION AND A SEC, ALL IN FAVOR? MOTION CARRIES UNANIMOUSLY.

NEXT IS THIS NOTE ON BLACKBOARD SO THIS IS NORMALLY WE CAN TEXT EMPLOYEES OR CALL EMPLOYEES ONLY

[Item 5]

ON OF THE IN BASIS. WE TO HAVE TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM IN THE EVENT OF AN

EMERGENCY SO WE'D LIKE TO FLIP THE SWITCH TOMENTA OUT. >> MOTION CARRIES UNANIMOUSLY .

>>> ALL RIGHT. AND THEN ITEM SIX IS DONE. SO I THINK THAT'S ALL.

ANYTHING ELSE, FOLKS? >> SHERIFF ANYTHING ELSE YOU NEED?

>> IF YOU HAVE ANY THOUGHTS OR IDEAS, QUESTIONS, PLEASE REACH OUT.

THIS IS A HUGE TEAM EFFORT. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.